• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my xj metric or standard?

Metric, Standard, Torx, that damn reverse torx 12 pt pos, philips, and a couple of different thread pitches in each. It's awesome.

The engine should be mostly SAE/inch.

The transmission and chassis are ISO/metric.

I don't recall if the transfer case is SAE or ISO - probably a mix.

And, of course, there are Torx (which can actually be threaded SAE or ISO,) and the E12 (external Torx) at the top of the bellhousing (threaded 3/8"-16.)

5-90 said:
The engine should be mostly SAE/inch.

The transmission and chassis are ISO/metric.

I don't recall if the transfer case is SAE or ISO - probably a mix.

And, of course, there are Torx (which can actually be threaded SAE or ISO,) and the E12 (external Torx) at the top of the bellhousing (threaded 3/8"-16.)

All the case bolts and hex plugs on the NP242 are metric.

There was a guy on here that is slowly converting all the fasteners on his jeep to metric....or was it standard?
I think he said his tool kit has shrunk alot.....I've thought of doing the same a few times.

MONSTERxbla said:
I have a 98 xj and was wondering if the majority of bolts and nuts were metric or standard??

Yep! My Jeep's always a good excuse to buy more tools!

Metric, Standard, Torx, Reverse Torx, Driven rivet, pop rivet. Heck, has anyone found square drive or scalloped flat head security screws yet? Is there a fastener system that Jeep hasn't used?

tbburg said:
Heck, has anyone found square drive or scalloped flat head security screws yet? Is there a fastener system that Jeep hasn't used?

Block drain and diff fill hole are square drive.

Figures,...

thanks for all the info...I am getting ready to install my life, bumper, gears, ect. and I was thinking about getting an impact wrench and and sockets and wanted to know what type and sizes to buy. sounds like I am gonna have to buy both metric and standard sets and add to it as needed.

Back