• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it just me? Do 34" LTB's look like 31's...

TheOtherSide

NAXJA Forum User
Am I nuts? Every photo I see of someone with 34x10.5x15 Swamper LTB's... look like they have 31's on it. I want these tires... but can someone confirm a diameter measurement for me... mounted and bolted on their XJ? Seems you almost can get away with 2" lift to mount them on.

What's up??? Help me out... post up some photos of your LTB's... the meaner and the bigger it looks the better I"ll feel towards buying mine.

Also... some diameter measurements would be nice too.

Here's another... I've seen lots of guys using 7" wides & 8" wides with the 10.5 wide LTB's.... what did you use? Did you ever pop a bead on the 8" wide wheels?

Thanks in advance!

Ive seen it in person on 30", so I kinda have a better perspective on it. Plus those are 10.50s, not 9.50s, surprising how much of a difference that can make. Best thing to do is fine someone that has em, or a shop that does, and wheel one up next to your jeep. Sometimes pics can't do it justice.

There was a guy today that thought I had a 2 inch lift when I have 4.5, with 33x9.50's. The tires do look smaller than 34" though.

She's 5'5 for reference
HPIM0199.jpg

JeepFront.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

HPIM0548.jpg

HPIM0502.jpg

Don't know if you can see the tire behind the 34" but it is a 31"LTB
HPIM0177.jpg

HPIM0502.jpg

HPIM0183.jpg

The wrangler behind my jeep is on 4" and 33"s
HPIM0522.jpg

Theres a 6" lift on the jeep.

Last edited:
you know i always thought the same thing, if they made them in a 35x12.5 i would have them tomorrow

How about you measure them too, so we know how tall they are.
Different tires measure to different things, so a 31 might not be a true 31, so measure them with a tape, and see how tall they really are.

I think a lot of it has to do with the big side lugs being very spaced out. With them being very spaced it it leaves a lot of sidewall and open space between the lugs to be seen. Might make the tire seem rounder then it is not to mention smaller.

I always thought that the 34x10.50 ltbs looked like 31's aswell... the pictures in here all look good but there some of the only ones that looked big...

perspective does alot... I can be looking at my jeep and find an angle that makes it look big (for 31s) and then I snap a picture and bam... it looks small... same angle and everything its like an optical illusion... and when I first got the 3in lift and 31s from stock it looked to me like it had 6in lift and 35s... then gradually it looked smaller and smaller to now when it looks almost stock... its wierd.

Zice said:
I always thought that the 34x10.50 ltbs looked like 31's aswell... the pictures in here all look good but there some of the only ones that looked big...

perspective does alot... I can be looking at my jeep and find an angle that makes it look big (for 31s) and then I snap a picture and bam... it looks small... same angle and everything its like an optical illusion... and when I first got the 3in lift and 31s from stock it looked to me like it had 6in lift and 35s... then gradually it looked smaller and smaller to now when it looks almost stock... its wierd.

Agreed...

I just found a 34x9.5 TSL for a back-up spare... very worn out... measured the diameter and it's just over 31". Considering they almost have an inch of tread new, that would add 2" to the diameter making it just over 33". I'll mount it up and see if inflation changes it, but the size is the size.

well since they are rated in inches not the metric measurements, they probably run around 33.5-33.7 when mounted, with the load from the car, and when aired down, they probably get to be about 33 maybe even 32 depending how low you air down. i have 32 inch bf goodrich and i measured my tire with the most tread and found it to be 31 inches on the dot... load of arse.

although... the trxus muds are almost on the dot 33 inches, so who knows

not sure about 34's but i rode with a guy who just got a set of 33x13.50's and they were taller than 33". they are awesome tires in midwest, muddy hillclimbs, i can tell you that.

flexjay87 said:
not sure about 34's but i rode with a guy who just got a set of 33x13.50's and they were taller than 33". they are awesome tires in midwest, muddy hillclimbs, i can tell you that.

They are great for muddy hill climbs...a few guys tried this with bfg a/t's and had no chance of making it...(the hill is steeper than it looks in the pic)
HPIM0516.jpg

Rim style and backspacing has a lot to do with the illusion also.I love my 34" ltbs.They are about 33.6 new but they look small mounted on certain rims.They say that tires are usually about 1" smaller than actual size due to the tire shrinking as it cools down when they pull them out of the mold.This seems like false advertising to me....if I buy a 33" tire it should measure 33 inches!!
Why don't tire manufactures make the molds 1" bigger than the size of tire they are producing so It will shrink down to the "right" size???Am I crazy?

Last edited:
cause is cheaper if only by a couple of cents per mold, but that couple cents adds up after millions of tires, and if any one says anything, its not their fault, its phsyics (or chemistry either one)

Back