• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Specs

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting the leafs back in on my 1999 XJ and I was wondering what I should torque these bolts down to:

1. U-bolts
2. Centering bolts
3. Lower shock bolts

Thanks for any help!

i have taken my leafs off a few times,
all i do is just torque the shock mounts and centering nut pretty hard. The only thing that i know has torque specs are the U-Bolts and their 52 ft. lb.

Ryan93 said:
what would happen if you over tightened these bolts?
Worst case is you snap them off, second worse is you stretch the bolt and weaken it. I muscle brained a whole lot of bolts before I finally caught on that the difference between too tight, snap, then real loose is often a fine line. I've been trying to teach my son this for twenty two years, I guess as long as his arms have a larger diameter than his head, he will keep right on snapping them off.

Torque specs are on my site, under the Tech Archives. Specs are culled from FSMs - and I don't have all the years yet. However, they've been pretty consistent among models so far.

Note on suspension fasteners - finger-tighten them (or gently, with a wrench) and then lower the vehicle. Bounce it on the springs once or twice, and allow to settle. Then torque the fasteners!

This will allow them to hold their "at rest" position - where they spend 90% of their time anyhow. Torquing fasteners with the vehicle on a lift can result in things like premature part wear - you'd be retaining the parts at "full droop," and they'd therefore be stressed somewhat when the weight of the vehicle is placed on them.

hand tight and 2 castlations(just kidding :) . I really dont ever use specs on leaf springs and stuff like that. I just get it tight to where I know it should hold...Then I double check after some miles. So far so good

Back