• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj - can i charge a/c myself?

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
i've heard mixed things on charging your own a/c.
i don't think anything is won't with the components i get some cold out just not enough.

is it worth trying a kit from autozone or get a professional when it comes to this?

As long as there is no problem with the system, other than being too cool, it is fine to do it yourself (in my mind). I've done it to several vehicles without a single problem resulting from it, but each system was in good shape to begin with (other than being low on refrigerant).

Yes you can!! Just make sure you do not overfill it!! Start with a small can of 134a and watch the guage( green good/yellow be carefull/red danger). Engine must be running with A/C on fullblast to get proper reading. If your system is just low then a small can will do, if it is very low ie. bottom of the green, a large can will be good.

the question that begs to be asked .. is .. why is the system low? and how fast did it get low.

where is it leaking from .... how is the compressor oil?

Before I would even think of charging the system I would do a pressure test on it

if pressure test is ok .. then go ahead ... its pretty easy to charge an AC system ... but if the pressure dont hold for at least 10 mins ..you got some issues

Hammered said:
related Q: how hard is it to replace the container for the "freon" or whatever it is in a 97. I am sure if I knew what I was looking for that I could get one out of the Yards.

Freon container?

97 has R-134a, not freon which was the Dupont tradmark name for R-12. There is no container as such. There is a filter / dryer / accumulator with a pressure switch mounted in it on the high pressure side of the system, between the condenser and the expansion valve. But the refrigerant is distributed all over between the condenser, filter, hoses, evaporator, and compressor. Most of the liquid is in the condenser and filter / dryer. Most early leaks are the o'rings at the ends of the hoses. Later leaks develop in the high pressure hoses, and on later year models the Evaporator itself. Last to go is usually the compressor shaft seal.

ok well That helps just knowing what is goiung on there. Long ago I had the AC looked at, and I forget what it was thay said was cracked. Condenser, Compressor...accumulator or something. Anyhow, are these easy to yank out of a Junk yard or is there any thing to look for or be careful of?

JY'rds are like a box of chocolats! Never know what your gonna get!:laugh3:

I would not reuse any junk yard AC stuff, except maybe an early model AC condenser. The rest I would go for new parts to replace bad parts. If you want to learn about Auto AC work in general go to the AC forum at www.autoacforum.com and browse around.

Ditto on doing some homework yourself. You'll be better able to figure out what's wrong yourself, or know when the shop is bs'ing you.

man my a/c has always worked fine but i seldom use it... my 99 xj just got over 100k and i used a recharge kit - like 8 bux and it blows cold as ever... just make sure you have no leaks, etc

Just a note...when converting from R-12 to R-134a, the directions say to "discharge the R-12 system in accordance with environmental rules". Just my guess, but I'd bet most just vent it to the atmosphere...right? Is just venting OK for recharging with R-134a (not considering the ozone layer), or will just "venting" not clear the system and create problems later?

Reason I ask...I have an '89 XJ...last charged in about 2001...is low now (blowing cool, but not cold). It's time for a re-charge. What should I do about conversion to R-134a...do it myself and damn the ozone layer, or take it to a professional and pay the price?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I'm no tree hugger. But venting will not remove all the R-12 in the system. It should flushed to remove the old oil, then vacuumed to remove any remaining moisture and solvent from the flush.

You should change the dryer and you'll need to replace the low pressure cutoff with a low/high pressure cutoff.

You also have a leak. I'd suggest you change the seals while you fix whatever is leaking.

Flyfisher said:
Just a note...when converting from R-12 to R-134a, the directions say to "discharge the R-12 system in accordance with environmental rules". Just my guess, but I'd bet most just vent it to the atmosphere...right? Is just venting OK for recharging with R-134a (not considering the ozone layer), or will just "venting" not clear the system and create problems later?

Reason I ask...I have an '89 XJ...last charged in about 2001...is low now (blowing cool, but not cold). It's time for a re-charge. What should I do about conversion to R-134a...do it myself and damn the ozone layer, or take it to a professional and pay the price?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

If it is still blowing cool, but not cold after 7 years since its last recharge, I would just add one 12 oz can of R-12 and run it for now. If it had a significant leak over the last 7 years it would not even engage the compressor anymore.

lawsoncl said:
Wikipedia agrees that Freon was a trademark name for Dupont, but it wasn't exclusive to R12. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon

Nice catch, always some lurking around here to keep us honest, LOL.:wave:

That reminds that the Dupont's Freon Trademark also covered a bunch of vapor degreasor solvent blends, some of which I sold, as well multiple refrigerants.

Yeah, actually I remember my Dad bringing home a few leftover gallons of the freon degreaser when he worked at Goddard. It worked fantastic and even ripped the oils out of your skin. Evaporated really fast. Probably horrible for the enviroment.

lawsoncl said:
Yeah, actually I remember my Dad bringing home a few leftover gallons of the freon degreaser when he worked at Goddard. It worked fantastic and even ripped the oils out of your skin. Evaporated really fast. Probably horrible for the enviroment.

Millions of tons of it were used by military, aerospace and electronics and optics manufacturers for part cleaning in open top vapor and ultrasonic degreasers. It was just as bad R-12, and they were all outlawed in 1987 by the Montreal Protocall, which also killed my entire income source in the process in 1987. :bawl: It also outlawed 1,1,1 trichloroethane for the same reason. That was when I moved into environmental consutling and industrial waste and waste water treatment to make a living. The entire industry made an enmass shift to water based cleaning and rinsing, mothballed about 100,000 vapor degreasers and cold solvent degreasers that used those solvents, which created the need for some new industrial waste water treatment equipment.

Back