• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate to TC bolts- One won't go in!..?

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
getting this heap put back together- 96 4.0 AW4, 3 of the 4 flexplate into the Torque Converter bolts went in easily...# 4 seems to be 'off' just enough that it won't go in- it's wanting to start at a slight angle, but won't bite. ? I rotated the flexplate a little bit and still no joy. What's going on here that I don't understand?

Probably a small ding in the bolt threads or bolt hole threads. If the bolt is square across the end, filing or sanding a small angled bevel around the tip can help gettig it started.
Taking the time to put a tap down the hole and using a thread file on the bolt may save a lot more time than it takes to do it.
Loctite and use a torque wrench on the bolts or you will likely be sorry.
With a flashlight and good eyes you can see the flaws/dings in the hole threads. There should actually be a very slight bevel in the hole and at the the bolt tip to help start the beginning threads.
I usually don't tighten anything down until I have all the bolts started. The alignment of the holes may not be perfect and may require some twisting of the tone ring to get the holes aligned good enough to start the bolts.

citRon said:
ok I had tightened the other 3 down, so is there some play there if I loosen them up? What's the torque on these bolts? -thanks
One of my torque table lists says "!info not available" and the other says 40 ft/lbs. I'd double check with another torque table source.
A flex plate hole may be hanging over the converter holes just enough to cause you grief. If you can't get close enough to tell for sure (eyeball from two inches with a flashlight) I'd loosen them off and try for a little extra clearance. I don't know for sure about Jeep, but Dodge and Chevy both recommend not reusing torque converter bolts. I usually try to replace them when possible, if not I try to avoid reusing them as much as possible (tightening and loosening is supposed to stretch them some, especially over tightening them and then reusing them).

4LowandGo said:
Untighten the other three and then try to get in the fourth bolt. I suspect that is the problem. Then tighten to specs.

ditto

Back