• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 in XJ

longhorncherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Please dont shoot me down for starting another thread about puting a 350 in a cherokee, I know there is a lot of threads on this subject but im dealing with dialup so my internet is really slow. So it would be greatly apreciated if i could get some links to some sites or threads. Or any infor is also helpfull. By the way the engine im putting in is from a chevy scotsdale with a sm 420 tranny. Also Ive heard about the unibody frame might need to be beefed up is that true? Thanks

welcome to NAXJA and check out advance adapters web site. they have motor mounts for a Small Block in a Cherokee. As long as you have the transmission with the motor, you might wanna think about running a Chevy transfer case too. Myself, ive always really liked the idea of a Cherokee with a Small Block Chevy under the hood. as far as reinforcing the frame, it al ldepends on its use. Good luck. :guitar:

PS: there are members o nhere that have SBC in their Jeeps, so hopefully, they'll chime in.

Yea advanced adapters. Call them up and talk to Lee, tell him Matt with the XJ from Atascadero told to call. I used to live 15 mins away from advanced adapters. Went to the Rubicon with a couple of the guys from AA, JP magazine (cappa), and a few guys from Jeeps-r-Us is Laguna Beach Ca. They know their sh!t, its what they do and you cant beat the quality. I havent talked to Lee in a long time but im pretty sure hes still working there. he might be able to help you out even with a price.

Make it a 4 bolt main, trust me.

4 Bolt mains have Smaller webbing in the block, and are more often cracked... so Why a 4 bolt main ?

~Ace~~ said:
4 Bolt mains have Smaller webbing in the block, and are more often cracked... so Why a 4 bolt main ?

Well the last one I had, 327 actually, I broke one of the mains. From the bolt hole to the bottom of where the bearing sits in the block. So sad, it was a really nice motor. 10.75 to 1 pistons, 308 duration "mild cam" (I forget the lift), 1.96 heads, although I wanted the 2.02's. Eldlebrock intake with straight holley 650 cfm, headers, glass packs stuck in the collectors "literally". 6.7 seconds 0 to 60, which wasn't bad for stock 350 trans and rear end. 72 Nova. :D

Switched to a truck so I would be less likely to kill myself.

I don't have any experience with 4 bolt mains, I just assumed it would be better than the 2 bolt that I broke.

Thanks for the info though.

Unless you are just wanting a 350, why not put a 400 in it? They are the same size on the outside with the same bolt patterns and the 400 has lots more torque.

cuz a 400 is hard to come by. at least it is around here...

Anyway, i have a 350 in my xj. I used the engine mount brackets from them, im thinking that you will not be able to use that trans if the throwout shift lever is on the drivers side cuz there is not much room on that side. I used an ax-15 with advance adapters bellhousing kit and it used a pass side shift lever and hydraulic slave cyl.

But what do i know???? I now run a turbo 350.

Try a Mopar 318 first...

Any V8 Swap will require welding of new mounts, but staying with Mopar, you can nab the harness and ECM from the Grand Cherokee that the engine came from....

Back