• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 newer doorless notes

9lared0

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 4 door and recently followed this writeup to take my two front doors off. http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408138. It does a pretty good job of explaining things but I would like to add to it for anyone interested and say that you need to figure out what you're using for hinge pins. I beleive they are 5/16ths and I had to get these things that looked like c clamps combined with quick disconnects and modify and grind those to make them work. Also, realize you will take on water when it rains and maybe install some drain plugs in the floor or herculine it. Ohh and when cutting the hinge I used a grinder and cut through both pins, the hinge pin and the door stop because it was easier and the doorstop isnt necessary because the hinge dips down and stops itself without requiring a pin. One last note, the grommets around the holes that help press the pin in make life difficult when tryign to re-mount the doors so look above and below the holes the pin goes through and scrape the grommets off. It will make life much easier. I am pretty happy with this mod right now, I just wish I could get it to stop raining so I could enjoy it more.

9lared0 said:
I have a 98 4 door and recently followed this writeup to take my two front doors off. http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408138. It does a pretty good job of explaining things but I would like to add to it for anyone interested and say that you need to figure out what you're using for hinge pins. I beleive they are 5/16ths and I had to get these things that looked like c clamps combined with quick disconnects and modify and grind those to make them work. Also, realize you will take on water when it rains and maybe install some drain plugs in the floor or herculine it. Ohh and when cutting the hinge I used a grinder and cut through both pins, the hinge pin and the door stop because it was easier and the doorstop isnt necessary because the hinge dips down and stops itself without requiring a pin. One last note, the grommets around the holes that help press the pin in make life difficult when tryign to re-mount the doors so look above and below the holes the pin goes through and scrape the grommets off. It will make life much easier. I am pretty happy with this mod right now, I just wish I could get it to stop raining so I could enjoy it more.
I feel this mod would be better enjoyed if this write-up was followed since it allows for one person removal/installation
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444398
However, those grommets that make things a pain should be left there so you can use a 5/16" pin/bolt, otherwise the hole is too big more like an 11/32" which is an impossible size to find hardware for. Much like on yours Jon :kissyou:.

Yeah I suppose I should give credit where its due, Collin 90Piosport99 donated his drive way, use of tools and a lot of the work so a big thanks to you for that. Perhaps I will tackle the other version to make the doors line up better.

9lared0 said:
Yeah I suppose I should give credit where its due, Collin 90Piosport99 donated his drive way, use of tools and a lot of the work so a big thanks to you for that. Perhaps I will tackle the other version to make the doors line up better.
I think it would be most helpful just so it didn't always require multiple person(s) to line them up, it seems to be a huge PITA the way the initial write-up instructed. To all considering doing this just realize, it is nowhere near as easy or as foolproof for that matter as on the old "ear" style hinges.

I just knocked out those little washer thingees because they were mostly jacked anyway. 5/16", therefor does not work for me. 3/8" seems pretty good. I haven't actually cut them up yet and fitted them.

Back