• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Wiring

jacobyj2

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find a new wiring harness for the crankshaft position sensor on my 88xj 4.0L and am having troubles. Anyone know a good place to find this. I could just rewire things but I'd like to replace the connectors as well.

The connector is a standard Delphi Weatherpack 3-pole, should be available from any parts house that carries HELP! parts. Same line also includes the tools to remove and install the terminals, but the crimper ain't cheap (~$25-30, IIRC. Haven't bought one in years.)

My advice? Get the terminal tools (~$10 for the set, I think,) and use them to remove the terminals from the housing. Clean with cheap toothpaste, a toothbrush, and HOT water. Let dry fully before reinstalling the contacts in the housing. Works just fine.

5-90

jacobyj2 said:
I'm trying to find a new wiring harness for the crankshaft position sensor on my 88xj 4.0L and am having troubles. Anyone know a good place to find this. I could just rewire things but I'd like to replace the connectors as well.
On the '88 the CPS originally fed into a major wiring harness, and the distance the wires ran sometimes results in a weak signal from the CPS to the ECU. Mopar has a replacement CPS that comes with a new "patch" harness that runs directly through the firewall into the ECU. I'd suggest buying that whole package from the dealer, install the harness patch, and carry the new CPS in the glovebox as a spare for the day when your CPS will inevitably croak.

IIRC, in typical Chrysler fashion, the replacement CPS with the new harness sells for less than a CPS without the harness.

If you have a small flat screwdriver, you can use that to release the wire separator on the back, and to release any locking clips that you have a problem with - and just the "Terminal Release Tool" to get the terminals out.

If you're in a hurry, check a small store that stocks HELP! - you should be able to find them in a local shop. The set from HELP! consists of a small flat blade, a larger flat blade (about 1/8" and 1/4", I think) and a terminal release tool. For the occasional user, they're perfect.

5-90

Back