• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler question?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a muffler to put on my xj and wanted to get some opinions. I want something that I hear when I jump on the gas but dont want it so loud that I have to turn the stereo all the way up just to live with it. A guy at work said I would hate the flowmaster cause of the "drone" at low rpms and that I should get a Magnaflow. What do you guys recommend. Also, should I get a cat back system or and just a muffler? Thanks in advance!

i have ran flowmaster on V8's and it is not loud at all while cruising down the road. i always got more tire noise with all-terrains than from a flowmaster muffler. but they sure bark when you are on the gas.

I'm running a Thrush super turbo muffler with a custom 2 1/2" tailpipe that runs in the stock location. it has some drone between 1200-2300 rpms but i think it is because it's a short muffler. it has a nice powerful tone without being too loud. hope that helps...

what you shoudl go with depends on what your budget is, if your rig is older, maybe a catback, if not then just a muffler, oh and by the way if you dont want mandrel bent and dont mind stock size, autozone has oem tailpipes for about $18

Get a dynomax super turbo. Nice mellow deep tone, not intrusive, but has a mild growl when you give it gas. You can get it for $150 shipped from summitracing plus a $30 rebate.

Heres a little video I made with my phone after the catback install.

CHERRYBOMB!!!

I have a flowmaster that is beat to shit with rock rash & its still held together some how... It sounds nice & deep on the gas & is really surprisingly quiet when cruising. I just give it props for its strength.

Back