• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear toyota axle...

recycledxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to upgrade my rear axle and im looking at the toyota axles... but I need the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, I know Im only going to find that in a 2 wheel drive models... is there any one that is worth putting money out for wheeling...

i dont mean to hijak your post but what 44 can and will fit in a xj what is the make and model so i can start looking around

phreacked said:
i dont mean to hijak your post but what 44 can and will fit in a xj what is the make and model so i can start looking around

D44's came in some 1987 XJ's. Look for a 1987 XJ with towing package. They are somewhat rare but can be found. They swap right in with no (few) mods.

DirtyMJ said:
Toy axles suck. If you're going to do that, might as well get an isuzu 12B or wagoneer D44.
I was under the impression the clearance, good strength and easy to work on 3rd members were somewhat desirable, no?

As for Isuzu, from reading it seems many owners were disspointed when Isuzu replaced the 12b with the D44 in later years. I thought they were rather strong too?

For the OP, searching will yield quite a few threads on Toy axle swaps, the idea of it, and the pros-vs-cons of the end result.

And yes, some 87-89 XJ's will have rear D44's... just not many of them as many on here are on the look out for them, everywhere.

phreacked said:

An XJ axle is a bolt in for the XJ. 87-90ish with the tow package. They can be had. If not, then an 8.8 or 8.25 29 spline in that order.

ford 9"

:D No, you MAY NOT have the 44 that is under mine... :D

If you can find a D44 from an early Government XJ or an MJ with the Metric ton capacity, that is the way to go.....

phreacked said:
search search search, you wouldn't believe the amount of times this has been covered.

i would figure a toy rear would be okay... I mean i know lots of toyota guys running them with 39.5" tires.

but obviously if i was goin to do it i would say swap front and rear to dana 44 front (easy to find, cheap, will hold up to most) and 14 bolt/60/Ford 10.25-10.50/ or some other 1 ton rear end.

You could always try to get your hands on a Chrysler 8 3/4" or muscle car era D60 for a mid sized Mopar, mounts would be different but they are close in track width and ause a 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

8.8 comes with 31 spline axles and disk brakes. They can handle 35s with no problems and are easyer to find than toy axles. Iv found mine for around $120, and have had it under my jeep for over a year now.

Last edited:
Yota axles are fine, on par with or slightly stronger than a D44. Converting the lug pattern would be the biggest drawback IMO. You could swap in a Chev or Waggy 6 lug D44 at the same time and be good to go. Yota guys used to do this frequently prior to Longfields hitting the market, some still do since Longfields are now apparently forged from platinum based on the price.

I looked into the yota axle swap... I had a real nice plan all setup until the width of the axle itself became an issue :(

The distance between the backing plates on the axle make it too fn' narrow for the XJ, you have to in-board the springs if you are using an older toy rear end.

To get one to fit you have to run a newer "8.4" toyota rear which will end up costing an arm and a leg. The 3rd members are different and will not fit into the older style housings (read stuff is more expensive)

I thought about inboarding the leafs but the gas tank is right there... loss in stability not to mention the loss in track width. If I owned a TJ I'd plop one in the rear in a heart beat! It's just not feasible with an XJ using an older style 8". Too bad it isn't doable, running wheel spacers would make it the perfect combo!

Thanks for the info... I already have a full width 9inch that I might have narrowed are just look for an earl bronco 9 inch, I plan on getting custom shafts so that would get me the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I just need to figure out if the 8.8 backing plate will fit on the outers on the 9 inch...

Back