• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow hooks????

The brackets should if OEM. The hooks, I'm not so sure...if pre97+, you might have to do some trimming of that plastic air dam below the bumper...the OEM 97+, I believe, are made in a way so that the hook is about 2" below the bracket. Earlier ones and aftermarket mount flush to the bracket...

Yes and no. The basic answer is the tow hook brackets fit 1984-1996 or 1997-2001. The change in body style led to a slight change in the bumper mounting bracket that is welded to the tow hook brackets. The frame bolt holes remained the same for all years.

With some modification you can adapt the brackets to fit. Remove the bumper bracket or re-drill your bumper to fit the bracket.

Here's a pic (thanks JEEPZZ) of the 2 styles. 97+ on the left, pre97 on the right.

dsc00127.jpg

The 97+ bumper attaches to the through the top and bottom of the bumper and bracket. The pre 97 bumper attaches from the bottom and the front. Also notice the longer 'drop' of the 97+ hook.

Last edited:
Is the bumper bracket really part of the tow hook bracket...I got my tow hook brackets off a pre 97 XJ...the bumper bracket and tow hook bracket were separate...hmmm...maybe it wasn't OEM...

But as you can see from the pics the hooks themselves are definitely different...I have the one on the right...had to do some trimming with a dremel on the plastic air dam.

thebrick said:
Is the bumper bracket really part of the tow hook bracket...I got my tow hook brackets off a pre 97 XJ...the bumper bracket and tow hook bracket were separate...hmmm...maybe it wasn't OEM...

I have pulled a least a dozen sets of tow hooks/brackets at the junkyard. The bumper bracket has always been welded to the tow hook bracket, old or new style.

ok I have just a bumper no airdam so pre97 should work on my 2000 . I guess I have a new question . is 97+ bumper going to fit pre97 bumper brackets? EDIT never mind I see it now thanks for all the info

nate

-

Back