• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Wheel Bearing replacement

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
is there any special tools needed for this? it looks straight forward also i noticed on autozones website that there is no bearing diffrence between the 8.25 or D35 just the seal is diffrent heres a list of parts i belive i need if i missed anything let me know

wheel bearing
seal
diff gasket
rtv
gear oil

I never use a differential cover gasket, just RTV. Check and make sure the differential vent isn't stopped up. If your spider gear cross pin has a bolt and not a pin holding it in, be careful not to snap the bolt off. Tap the end of the bolt with a hammer and remove with feeling, force can cause you all sorts of grief. The cross pin bolt snapping off has caused many a people a lot of grief.

I personally like to use gasket and alittle RTV. It cost alittle more but I feel better about it not leaking but as said already alot of people just use RTV with no problems. The gasket at Advance Auto is going to run you $10.

rent a bearing puller aka slide hammer which makes it easier to remove the bearings instead of bending up the tubes using a punch and a sledge.

get yourself a lubelocker gasket for the 8.25 diff. You can re-use it each time and never have to deal with RTV

do i need to grease the bearings or are they lubed by gear oil? i guess ill rent a puller from ricer zone, is there any special tool to instal the bearing and or seal?

ROBZ95Xj said:
do i need to grease the bearings or are they lubed by gear oil? i guess ill rent a puller from ricer zone, is there any special tool to instal the bearing and or seal?
I squirt some gear oil onto the bearing and coat the seal lip with GO 90, so they positively don't run/turn dry at any time. I usually lube them after installation and before replacing the axle shafts, to avoid some mess. I have used grease instead of gear oil on occasion. Most of the gear oil bottles have a squirt tip, which makes giving them a bath easy.

Back