• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lol gears

phreacked

NAXJA Forum User
can i put 488s in a d30/8-1/4 or is 456s the biggest i can go ill be running 33s with a auto tranny thanks guys:worship:

The 8.25 limits you to 4.56, that will be a good combo for your trans and tires though. Don't forget to replace the speedometer gear.

Jim www.yuccaman.com 96XJ 33x10.50, 4.5" lift

running 96 front 30 and the 8.25 on 33s tsl i would like to lock front and rear and i do(rocky)trails do you think ill do alot of dam.(shafts) with the 8.25 or should it be fine im pritty lite on the gas lol

does the 94 xj have a vss or is it just a gear cabel and if its a vss will it screw up the performce of the jeep

27 spline or 29?

29 spline 8.25 is not a bad axle, but TSL's are a heavy tire too. I'd probably look for a dana 44 or 8.8 and get some CrMo shafts (not available for 8.25).

phreacked said:
does the 94 xj have a vss or is it just a gear cabel and if its a vss will it screw up the performce of the jeep

Its got a VSS driven by a gear. Not sure on performance, but the gear is $8 to replace at the dealer with the right one for your new setup.

'94 is a 27-spline. They changed to 29 somewhere in mid-96.

With an auto trans your shift points get sort of goofed up if you don't change the speedo gear.

know im a chevy guy just got in to the jeep thing on chevys the speedo gears are colored is the jeep the same way and with the 4.0 auto 456 gears with 33s what would the gear be

phreacked said:
know im a chevy guy just got in to the jeep thing on chevys the speedo gears are colored is the jeep the same way and with the 4.0 auto 456 gears with 33s what would the gear be

Us Jeep boys go by the number of teeth on the gear (they do have different colors though). At Jeepin.com they have a write-up on how to do it and they include a chart that tells you what gear you will need with what gear ratio and tize size combo you will have. Go check it out and see what you will need for your set-up.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/speedogear/

You will want to get a 29 spline 8.25 a 44 or an ford 8.8 out of a late model exploder. As for the front with chromos up front you won't have to worry about a thing, but I would just wheel till they snap then upgrade.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Read everything on there.

Use the search tool on here.

You will learn a lot.

=]

cal said:
27 spline or 29?

29 spline 8.25 is not a bad axle, but TSL's are a heavy tire too. I'd probably look for a dana 44 or 8.8 and get some CrMo shafts (not available for 8.25).
really?

Id run an 8.25 on 33's or 35's any day of the week, on any of the trails I run...

Id swear i saw some 8.25 alloys 8-10 months ago... never paid much attention though...

Hell - I wish id swaped in an 8.25 and kept my 30! :dunno: lolololol

cal said:
27 spline or 29?

Ive been running 33" bias ply TSL's on a stock 29spl 8.25 shafts for 2 years now, no broken shafts or twisting of the stock ones.

Yukon sells alloy ones, bout $100 each. IIRC, Alloy USA does, or did at one point.

You can do 4.88s in a Dana 30. im doin this setup with an 8.8 soon. btw, an aussie locker is only $250ish shipped to your door.

Back