• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few renix sensor type questions

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have 2 questions i am doing a engine swap on a 88 xj and i am putting a 96 block in it and sticking with the renix wiring and stuff so my question now is i just broke my second knock sensor while taking it out so do i NEED to put a knock sensor in the 96 block or can i just forget about it? Also since the temp sensor spot was moved from the side of the block to the thermastat housing (in 91) can i just move the sensor to the thermastat housing of the 96 block and be done with it.
thanks a lot
mike

The boss for the knock sensor is there, but it's likely unmachined. It can be drilled and tapped to accept the sensor (the system will also run without it - the knock sensor only generates a signal when something is wrong.)

RENIX does, however, require three temperature sensors for various systems - one for the ECU (down on the side of the block,) one for the E-fan (in the driver's side radiator tank,) and one for the gage (driver's side rear of the head.) If you use the RENIX radiator, you can keep the E-fan switch in place. I believe the heads to 1995 had the hole drilled/tapped for the gage sensor (and is a better-flowing head anyhow,) and that simply leaves the ECU sensor - which can be put into the thermostat housing, but you may have some slight issues during warmup.

The ECU sensor responds on the standard Thermistor curve used by GM, so you can just use a GM thermistor threaded 3/8"NPT for that one in the later housing. Any 1980's-1995 GM thermistor should work for that.

In fact, most of the RENIX sensors are standard GM parts (save the TPS and HEGO,) which simplifies finding them.

1988cherokeexj said:
hold on im am geting comfused,sorry so there should i put the RENIX ECU and the Efan sensor on the 96 block

OK - just to get us on the same page, let me ask this: "Have you only swapped the short block, or are you swapping the electronics as well?"

1988cherokeexj said:
i am keeping all the RENIX wiring and manifolds, ect. and putting the 96 block in

1996 short block and RENIX head? Then what I said largely stands, WRT the temperature sensors and suchlike. Chances are the boss for the knock sensor is not machined, but it should be there for you to drill and tap. DO NOT go all the way through if you do so - all that is needed is a solid "mechanical" connection for the thing. There should be no contact with fluid.

1988cherokeexj said:
sorry i am using the 96 head also so i guess all i am reusing is the RENIX wireing and manifolds

-mike

Using the RENIX manifolds on the OBD head will take some work - for 1991, the intake ports were raised 5/8" to allow for better airflow through the head. It can be done, but you'll have to dig up just how (I don't recall offhand.)

You can use the compleat 1996 engine (with bolt-ons, save alternator,) but you'll have to adapt the throttle linkage to the throttle body and the RENIX TPS to the HO throttle body - that's all been covered here, so I know searching will be productive.

Swapping the short block is far easier than swapping the long block, but swapping the long block can certainly be done.

I haven't read everything here so this may be repeated.

You will be able to put your knock sensor on the 1996 block. The hole is there and tapped, I'd just chase a tap through to clean the threads up.

I chose to put the coolant temperature sensor in the correct location, which is the forward engine coolant drain plugs in the block. Be warned this can be a major pain in the ass because those plugs are in tight (and haven't moved since the engine was built) and use an oddball 5/16" male square drive (as in the plugs have a female 5/16" square). I was able to remove them with a few pieces of 5/16" key stock, on my fourth piece (the rest broke) I finally got it out.

Sequoia

PS - My swap was using a 1996 block.

you also need to use the renix flywheel/flexplate and distibutor on the 96 block or the renix ecu wont get the correct signal from the cps and cam sensor

89xj said:
you also need to use the renix flywheel/flexplate and distibutor on the 96 block or the renix ecu wont get the correct signal from the cps and cam sensor
yea i did this swawp before but the one time i did it the gauge inside for my engine time didnt work

Back