• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I really need the electric cooling fan?

nitchkabob

NAXJA Forum User
It hasn't worked since I bought my 98 XJ about 4 years ago. I have spent a lot of money repairing all kinds of things that have to be replaced, and a new fan for the assembly is $96.00. Do I really need it? If I turn off my A/C, in traffic I shouldn't have a problem right?

Just wondering cus I have replaced radiator, freeze plugs, hub assemblies, universals, brakes, shocks, A/C comp, windshield wiper motor and pump, fuel pump, water pump, sway bar bushings, axle seals, etc and I am going broke! Love my jeep, but how important is the electrical cooling fan?

It will overheat if I run the A/C and am in stop and go traffic. Is that fan supposed to run at any other times than when the A/C is on? I wouldn't know cus it's never worked. Temp is around 210 degrees normally.

It's supposed to come on when the aircon is turned on, when the coolant temperature rises above a preset point (215-220* or so,) or when an override switch (owner-installed modification) is engaged.

I could tell you how to do the override on 1987-1990 rigs, but I've not had to work it out for later rigs yet. I think I'd end up adding a relay and doing a circuit in parallel, tho.

Do you need it? Not generally, if your cooling system is up to scratch. However, when you need it - you need it! I do advise replacing the thing.

5-90 said:
, when you need it - you need it! I do advise replacing the thing.

100 bucks may sound like a big outlay now but just think what could go wrong if something isnt working properly.

Headgaskets for a start, their very cheap to replace. :yap:

Jarvis_Pants said:
100 bucks may sound like a big outlay now but just think what could go wrong if something isnt working properly.

Headgaskets for a start, their very cheap to replace. :yap:

Oh, yeah... Very cheap...:repair: :repair: :gonnablow

Especially in Qatar - I'm sure your E-fan gets a fair amount of use!

by the way if you have some time before you leave you can get them at a salvage yard for about 30 or ebay for 30 + or - a few bucks.

I'd jumper the fan with 12VDC - if it runs, it's just not getting turned on. IIRC the 98 does it through the computer, the A/C should make it run, too.

X2 the salvage yard for a source. The difference will buy one tank of gas on the way to Montana.

X2 on jumpering the lead on the fan to see if it even works. If you can run it of the battery, then you've got either a bad relay, bad temp sending unit, or worse...... an ECU computer that no longer turns the fan circuit on.

Don't go paying $100 for a new fan. Look for a salvage one or E-bay or Craigslist in your area.

Definitely get the fan working though - it doesn't take much to blow that head gasket from a simple overheating issue.

nitchkabob said:
It hasn't worked since I bought my 98 XJ about 4 years ago. I have spent a lot of money repairing all kinds of things that have to be replaced, and a new fan for the assembly is $96.00. Do I really need it? If I turn off my A/C, in traffic I shouldn't have a problem right?

Just wondering cus I have replaced radiator, freeze plugs, hub assemblies, universals, brakes, shocks, A/C comp, windshield wiper motor and pump, fuel pump, water pump, sway bar bushings, axle seals, etc and I am going broke! Love my jeep, but how important is the electrical cooling fan?

Negative, you'll be just fine without it. Remove the fuel pump and water pump too and return them. Totally not essential.

Yes you need them.

89CherokeePioneer said:
Negative, you'll be just fine without it. Remove the fuel pump and water pump too and return them. Totally not essential.

Yes you need them.

Good one! The fuel pump is going back. Its the fan motor, I tested it with a battery about a year ago and didn't do squat. I called a few junk yards locally, but no one has the electric fan. Apparently it doesn't hold up well in accidents, or so says the junkmen.

Hit Summit, or go online. Buy an electric fan with decent CFM figures, and install it. Check this out.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Cooling/AftermarketElectricFan.htm

I've seen OE type fans online for about 60 + shipping, but no local retailers seem to have any in stock, so I ordered a different style online. I'm replacing the mechanical fan, but I may replace the stock auxiliary as well (some folks say these types of fans are much quieter- I'm waiting to see if this is really the case). $35 shipped, 14", 2000CFM, ~12A draw, mounting kit included (although I will likely do something like in this writeup).

Found all of this on here digging through old posts. Hope it helps.

FWIW, the fan I ordered.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=260248304170

Last edited:
Whenever something stock is broke I usually use that excuse for an upgrade. Search for the writeup for upgrading to the Taurus e-fan. I will take more work to install but shouldn't cost much more than the stock XJ fan.

When tring the hot wire also check the ground. A Ohm/multimeter works good here. If it spins when jumped. Try switching it's relay with a GOOD one, It's in the box under the hood.

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. Hubs, I looked at the tech write up, and the fan used in the write up that was from Advance. I thought about using it but found this at Summit Racing there, National HQ is within site of my house in case u didnt know, oh and they were pretty busy this morning, as they have all the monstrous tents and stuff set up for Super Summit this sunday.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...700+400304+301640+4294792709+115&autoview=sku

I went with the Summit Racing fan because it delivers 300 more cfm (1,100 vs 800) than the advance auto fan, it is already set up as a puller, and was cheaper.

Went in like a dream. I used the old fans connector spliced onto the new one, and drilled a couple of holes in the upper radiator support to bolt it there. I didnt like the idea of pushing anything through my radiator, and trans cooler, and the fan sat nicely on the lower support, and was pretty sturdy just from the top two bolts so I just zip tied it on the bottom to make sure it couldn't move.

All things considered, I would have bought the Pro Comp fan off ebay, but I needed to do the job today. I'm really glad I didnt just buuy the replacement motor from Autozone. It was 96 dollars, and once I was messing with my old stock fan shroud it became obvious that it was all dry rotted and ready to fall apart. The install didn't take very long, and works great! Thanks again all. Happy Jeeper here, look out Montana, Yellowstone, Tetons, and Black hills cus here I come!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back