• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch linkage or master cyl issue?

CleanInstall

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj with an I-6 and an ax-15 5spd. I was driving home tonight and as I neared the driveway, I depressed the clutch pedal and heard and felt a pop in the pedal. The pedal wouldn't return so I coasted to park it. When I looked in the master reservoir, it was full. No visible issues at the slave either. however when I got under the dash, I pulled the pedal up (with quite a bit of resistance) and the plunger connected to the clutch pedal just popped out of the master cylinder. My question is, do I need to just replace the master and will the plunger just go back in place with the new master or will I have to replace the linkage as well? I have a big trip ahead of me on Friday and I need to be able to drive this thing. any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance.

-Mike

i have never had th pleasure of working on the jeep clutch system as of yet, but with the other brands of vehicles that i ahve been around, when th eplunger pops out of the master cylinder, 99 per cent of the time there is a problem with the master cylinder, i would try to find one at a local parts store and see if the plunger is part of the assembly, on some of the fords i have worked on it w as part of it, also u might want to physically check to make sure the slave cylinder is working properly, they do not ahve to leak to be bad hope this helps

You should replace the master. The linkage should be fine. I've had my slave pop off on installation because it wasn't in the ball joint properly. I reconnected the plunger and it still works. The good news is that you have a 94 ax15 with the external slave, so if that does have to be replaced, it's easy to get to.

there is no linkage per-say... ive had the plastic line that goes from clutch master cyl to the slave cyl in the bellhousing rupture and i had to put a brass compression fitting on it to patch it together... never had the plunger come out from inside the cab..

Back