• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine removal help!!!

1988cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i threw a rod in a 4.0 engine in my XJ. so now i am trying to remove this engine, i have everything unbolted except for the bolts going from the flywheel to the torque converter because i cant turn the flywheel to get to the other torque converter bolts out so how should i get this engine out, thanks
mike

either pull the oil pan, remove the thrown rod and such removing obstruction from rotating the crank/flywheel, or pull the motor and trans together and do the same thing out of the truck, also maybe just try to put a large breaker bar on the crank pulley on the front of the motor to try and force it turn regardless of the thrown rod, depending on how you threw the rod (ie through the block or not through the block) you should be able to complete it in that fashion, assuming the trans and t case is in neautral.

Just leave the torque converter on the engine and pull it. Then you can get to the bolts once it's out.

It may take some wiggling. But If memory serves me correctly you can separate the torque converter from the tranny and leave it connected to the flex plate (tone ring). You may have to twist the tranny some, to get the converter to disengage (come loose). I've done it on the ground, though never in the vehicle. Tranny fluid runs everywhere, having a plan in place to deal with it can save a lot of grief.
I always remove most of the front clip and pull the tranny, transfer and engine as a unit out the front. The center of gravity is right around number six cylinder. I've found it easier than trying to separate them in the vehicle.
The first time removing the radiator brace and the other junk can be a pain, a hammer (impact) ratchet comes in handy. You have to raise the front of the XJ a little to get the right angle, if you raise it too high the engine lift won't go high enough. A little trial and error my be needed. Get the hook from the lift as close to the top of the motor as practical, I remove the starter, intake and exhaust manifold and wrap an old tow strap around the motor at the rear of the pan and run a chain from the front of the motor (intake bolt) to the hook for angle adjustments. I usually bend the bell housing dust cover a little using this methiode, nothing a few minutes with a hammmer won't fix.

I just went through the same thing. I threw a rod through my block and the oil pan. It was quite a mess. but I was still able to get a breaker bar on the front of the engine and turn it to get the torque converter bolts out.

When i replaced the motor in mine i just disconnected the motor from the tranny and took the motor out. Just left the torque convertor on the tranny and didn't have a mess on the floor. Just take your time cause it can be pain.

Back