• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex 4:1 Low 231 Transfer Case on a Manual?

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
There was another thread talking about gearing and what not and it got me to thinking about a 4:1 Teraflex 231 kit. So I looked them up and daggum it, I don't see one listed for a '94 I6 with the AX15 Manual. So I called them and the guy is 99% sure that the kit that says it fits the '87-'90 also will fit my '94. The thing was wasn't sure about is whether or not the '94 NP231 has a 23 spline input or not.

My questions:
1. Anyone have one of these 4Low kits from Teraflex on a '93 or '94 I6 Manual?

2. Do you know the part number for it?

He told me to pull the transfer case and count the splines and length of the input shaft. I told him I had "people" I would ask before I got dirty. So what say you "people"? Thanks.

All AX-15s used in XJ/MJ (and, I think, everywhere else!) are 23-spline output, so that's not a problem.

Funny that they list is as a 23-sp kit for 1987-1990 - the input was 21-sp to mid-1989, when ChryCo switched to the AX-15 (from the Peugeot) and took 23-sp AW4s at the same time.

If it's for a 23-sp input, you should be just fine.

Its also about spline length,both AA and Novak cover this completely in their write-ups.Tera-flex has them for all applications.

5-90: as usual great info.

RCP: as usual, you are right. The gentleman from Tera wanted me to measure the input shaft. But he also thought the one for the 03' and later Wranglers would be the one I wanted.

Thanks guys.

5-90 said:
All AX-15s used in XJ/MJ (and, I think, everywhere else!) are 23-spline output, so that's not a problem.

Funny that they list is as a 23-sp kit for 1987-1990 - the input was 21-sp to mid-1989, when ChryCo switched to the AX-15 (from the Peugeot) and took 23-sp AW4s at the same time.

If it's for a 23-sp input, you should be just fine.

There were 21 spline AX-15's. I lost a bet on that here a few months ago.

But yes, the 94 is definatly 23 spline.

Hey 5-90 and Cal, you guys gonna make the Fall Fling? I'd like to put faces to the names. Not too bad of a drive for ya'll.

I'll be there for sure, with my junk.

Cal.jpg

2123498743_0fc9740853.jpg

cal said:
I'll be there for sure, with my junk.

Cal.jpg

2123498743_0fc9740853.jpg

Crap, I take back that "want to put a face with a name" thing. :gee:

Mdub said:
Hey 5-90 and Cal, you guys gonna make the Fall Fling? I'd like to put faces to the names. Not too bad of a drive for ya'll.

I'd like to - but it's "too much work and not enough money."

I've got to find out the timing (where's Gilbert?) but my wife and I will be in Northern AZ (around Page) and up around Four Corners early in the week of the Fourth, I think. She's got the week off. I'm also trying to talk her into going with me to FarmerMatt's on the fifth - but that may be a bit far for you.

5-90 said:
I'd like to - but it's "too much work and not enough money."

I've got to find out the timing (where's Gilbert?) but my wife and I will be in Northern AZ (around Page) and up around Four Corners early in the week of the Fourth, I think. She's got the week off. I'm also trying to talk her into going with me to FarmerMatt's on the fifth - but that may be a bit far for you.

Gilbert is a suburb of Phoenix full of yuppie wheelers (like me). Page is WAY up north. Nice up there though, if you are going to the lake. Too bad about Moab. Yeah, it is gonna be sooo expensive. I think gas in my motorhome will cost $1000 ! There goes that Tera reduction box.

C85D4x4 said:
Well then since you did that......I guess your ok

My cousins kid had cancer young, and had to go through first grade with no hair. I've donated 4 times since then and am working on the fifth now.

Mdub said:
Gilbert is a suburb of Phoenix full of yuppie wheelers (like me). Page is WAY up north. Nice up there though, if you are going to the lake. Too bad about Moab. Yeah, it is gonna be sooo expensive. I think gas in my motorhome will cost $1000 ! There goes that Tera reduction box.

I thought it was down there. PHX in summer? Sorry - pass. Last summer was a neice's wedding at DMAFB (in August!) between deployments for both of them - ugh. I'm a cold-weather critter, that's why we're looking at northern AZ (if McMurdo had permanent staff, I'd have gone down there a long time ago. I did two tours there, got "Wintered Over" the second time, and loved every minutes of it!)

Although, I might be able to talk her into letting me park somewhere for a couple hours or so... It would have to be Flag or farther north, tho (and definitely somewhere east of Kingman. The only way you can get me into the desert anymore is if I'm driving through it, prefereably with aircon running...)

Back