• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 build ideas

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
The axle:
1990 Dana 30 disconnect 4.10 gears
The plan:
-change seals so I can use the 99 axle shafts.
- Change the knuckles over from my 99 and of course brakes, hubs blah blah.
-Weld a little plate where the track bar bolt goes so I can avoid death wobble.
-Weld on control arm mount skids so I didnt pretzel them
-reinforce the welds on the lower control arm mounts as well
-Possibly change ball joints if needed.
- maybe weld the axle tubes to the housings(vacuum and diff)
- block off the vacuum housing and remove any extra shit that is there.

-maybe a small truss like rusty's I can make from scrap steel ( not sure about this one)

What else would you add to this list, within reason and my price range.......CHEAP ?

Last edited:
A very solid diff cover. Something like a Crane or Riddler.

For seals, use a dremel and machine out the area behind the carrier on the passenger side to take an OEM seal, I used 6 or 7 conversion seals that all leaked after a few months before I gave up on that setup.

Gusset your inner C's with .250" plate, jeepspeed style

Grind your 99 shafts to accept full circle clips.

You can find all the info on doing these things here.

If you're going to be upgrading brakes or knuckles you might as well do a WJ swap. Even if you're not ready for OTK steering the WJ swap will work (I THINK). I haven't installed mine yet.

edit: I see you already have the '99 knuckles, brakes, etc.

Cal basically said exactly what I'm thinking. The best stuff to do has been covered thousands of times on here but my favorite cheap mod is the diff guardes I made from the oem cover and some scrap

Gerr said:
my favorite cheap mod is the diff guardes I made from the oem cover and some scrap

Pics? How much shipped to 92329?

cal said:
Gusset your inner C's with .250" plate, jeepspeed style

Hi Cal, Can you elaborate?? I have to correct for a slighly bent axle tube with adjustable ball joints, And I'd like to prevent from tweaking it again

Why not just swap in the entire new model axle?
Id also truss it, and probably relocate the trac bar mount.

Silly question but something I've always wanted to know: does an axle have to be empty for you to weld on tubes, gussets, etc? Logic would say that you have to be very careful when welding on an axle and as such, it shouldn't matter wether or not there is something in it.

Better yet,oil acts like a "cooling" medium,do your welding then just change the fluid afterwards.

So here's an update, a buddy of mine had d30 from a 95 xj with a new gear set set up in it, so I bought that and will swap all my '99 stuff over onto that and it comes with a riddler cover as well. and then reinforce all current welds and possibly gusset like this pic that was posted above in red
gussetkitinstalled.gif

Last edited:
What I did.....

100_0954.jpg

prolly not fitting your "cheap" objective because of the truss, but if you can build the diff guard, inner C and LCA gussets yourself as I did, this will help strengthen some weak points. You could fab your own truss to incorporate the disco housing.

well i got a 95 axle instead with the right gears and riddler cover, so I think what I will do is what u have done, minus the truss and cover of course

what thickness metal did u use for the gussets on the c's and control arm mounts

Last edited:
Back