• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you guys have a look at this??

Hmm sorry, Try this link to see the pics.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/ponyracer/

The stuff on my finger came from the filler neck, as with the stuff on the towel. The other pic is the overflow. It is about 3/4 of an inch deep. The "water" in the can still smells like antifreeze. Sort of. I thought it was oil and I had popped a head gasket but I'm not loosing oil. Trucks an 01 with 40K on her.

HAHA so I finally did something right?? Cool!!

So let me get this straight, the cap opens on the overflow, a bunch of crap lands in there, it gets sucked up the hose and contaiminates the rad. Sound about right? Anyway to stop it? Seal the lid of the overflow with silicone prior to givin her a bath???

Thanks for the replies, was stressing there for a bit. Anyway to keep this from happening again? How about smearing some rtv around the cap of the overflow tank??

No, the overflow bottle has to stay open pressure wise or it won't work right. Gee, wonder if there's a market for overlfow bottle filters, two maybe, one on the line and one on it's filler cap..
Flush it though and get all the gunk out before it starts eating your water pump bearings and seals.

If you just converted over to the closed system you wouldn't have that problem. No drawing board necessary.

:D:D:D:D

non-stick said:
If you just converted over to the closed system you wouldn't have that problem. No drawing board necessary.

:D:D:D:D

I have said in the past there is nothing wrong with the closed system other than the plastic parts like the turtle and the mixing valve. Otherwise the closed system works fine, the replacment mixing valves are metal now and surge tanks can be gotten metals. Closed systems are as old as open ones. Ford used them in the 60's, our country squire had one as did my dads 66 Galaxy 500.

rocklandxjer said:
look at a 97+
closed system is 90 and earlier. open is 91+

the closed system has no radiator cap, and uses a plastic overflow pressure tank and pressure cap on the bottle. the bottle tends to crack or the pressure cap goes (or both) after a while which is why some people convert to the new style.

mine closed system cools the 4.0 fine.

Back