• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok after lift hearing no overdrive

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
so someone told me you get better gas milage in 3rd on highway then overdrive. i have a 4.5 inch lift on 32's with a auto its a 97. why the heck would you run 3 something k on the road as opposed to a 2.2 in overdrive. help a newbie out. p.s went to gilbert mn park last weekend holy cow it has been years since i had that much fun, the mud the trails the scenery could not be more happy with my purchese and the thousands of dollars i put into it. worth it is all i can say.

I agree fuel, I think with 32's you'll be fine in OD, I run 33's with stock gearing and did some tests to see if I would get better mileage in 3rd or OD and there was no comparison, did the same course to work and back for a week each in OD and 3rd and was much better in OD. The problem comes when you're on the highway and if the tranny can't make up its mind and you're in and out of OD and the torque converter is constantly locking up and unlocking that it heats up the tranny and thats a problem, but I had fewer shifting probs going from 31's to 33's than from stock to 31's. Go figure. I wouldn't go any larger than 33's with stock gearing and that even depends on how much highway driving you do. cheers

tkjeeper, I must disagree but I have a manual with 3.07 gears and I notice a huge loss trying to stay in fifth.

/\ well of course with the ax15, no prob for me tho with aw4

Regear to regain mileage. You're seeing no difference in mileage between OD and 3d with 32s because you're dropping out of OD so often. 4.56 is best.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
Regear to regain mileage. You're seeing no difference in mileage between OD and 3d with 32s because you're dropping out of OD so often. 4.56 is best.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Just re-geard Monday. Gas mileage looks better, but too soon to tell. Highway driving much easier. No dropping out of over drive now. Love it.

Back