• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ radiator auto fluid lines removal

bill99

NAXJA Forum User
I need to take the main water radiator out of my 99 XJ, and having started to strip everything out it seems like you need a quick release tool to take off the automatic transmission oil lines which also go into this type of radiator.

Now assuming that I have to take all the little bits off this leaking radiator, then I will have to take off the short hose links with the quick release connectors anyway. So the top one looks easy enough but I was wondering about the lower one as it has a different type of spigot, kind of flush into the radiator with a 90-degree bend and looks like it is maybe not supposed to be removed.

Can anyone confirm that the lower spigot will come off no problem or is there anything I should know before I put a wrench on the nut?

Or alternatively is there a way to release these auto fluid line quick connectors without a special tool?

cheers

bill99

I had to use a QD tool on mine. It was like 5-10 from autozone. Don't break that line. I tried to replace the part I broke but that was damn near impossible. Ended up with a new transmission line from Mopar. It was around $90 from the Stealership!

There's like 4 QD tools at Autozone, and none of them say they are specifically for the transmission to radiator disconnect. Any idea which tool it is? What's it look like? I just bought one that I thought would work, but it's strictly for the AC pipes.

Back