• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High idle on purpose with a vacuum leak?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ and I'm turning it into a bit of a portable generator. I have an AGM battery and 165 amp alternator, now all I need is a big power inverter.

Anyway, I know there's a way to add a high idle switch via the ECM...but I really don't want to cut any of my computer's wires and cross them. :doh:

On the other hand, my intake manifold has a empty vacuum nipple on the front with a rubber cover. If I remove the rubber cover, idle increases to about 1100 RPM just like with a high idle switch. Is it ok to raise the idle like this? Am I going to hurt anything? Will it run lean that way?

It it so easy to do the high idle. You are just grounding one of the PCM wires and running it to a switch basically. I was nervous at first also, but it is easy.

Yeah, but it's even easier to just pop off the rubber cap. ;) Will it hurt anything though? I don't even need a switch in the cab, if I'm going to high idle then my hood will be open anyway...

I would think removing a vac hose may be only temporary for a high idle. the computer may pick up on it, and adjust the butterfly valve or IAC to allow less air in. Obviously if you haven't already tried it, it would be easy to do, leave the hose off for a bit, to mimick how long you would normally have high idle on for.

as for ease of use, I would think after the intial wiring, the switch would be much simpler than popping the hood and removing a cap everytime high idle is required.

The factory extended idle switch pn# is: 5600 8728

for 97-01 XJ's with police package

"Here's some info regarding the computer wire connection to be used for the extended idle setup:

For 1984-1992 I6 XJs and all I4 XJs:
Not an option in computer pin-out.

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)"

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416534&page=4&highlight=switch+idle

Drip

Wow said:
Yeah, but it's even easier to just pop off the rubber cap. ;) Will it hurt anything though? I don't even need a switch in the cab, if I'm going to high idle then my hood will be open anyway...

why do you want a high idle with the hood open?

Back