• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found an unplugged connector... where does it go?

ethernet

NAXJA Forum User
While looking under the hood contemplating what is making my '89 Renix Xj run so bad I stumbled across an unconnected plug? What would this go to?

0610081229.jpg

0610081229a.jpg

If you cant tell this is on the right side of the engine block. The wires join into the group of wires that run to the o2 sensor, CTS, the TPS, and all of those. I was unable to find the other connector that was missing its mate... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok so here is the update. I decided I would go check what it was plugged into on my parts rig. That connector is plugged into some sensor that looks like it goes inbetween the engine and the transmission. When I looked on my Jeep I did find the same sensor that goes between the tranny and the engine however it was plugged into some different connector. My parts rig is an automatic and my jeep is a manual so I am wondering if that may be the difference.

Also on my Jeep the connector to that cable was melted together. Is that a problem?

The MAP sensor is plugged in so that is not the problem...

there was a service bulletin about CPS plug going bad (building resistance) that had the dealer hardwire it to the ECU. I believe that's the plug that is no longer used.

So is the sensor that goes between the engine and the tranny the CPS? And how would i tell if it was hardwired to the ECU? Here in a little bit I will get a picture of the cable that is suppose to plug into this lost connector and I will show where the currently connected cable runs to...

How about the speed sensor from the tranny?

0610081411.jpg

This is the connector that is suppose to plug into the other connector that I found that had nothing. You can see how melted and deformed it is.
The other end of the way it is currently set up runs into the firewall here:
0610081411a.jpg

The top right hole is the one that the currently connected cable runs through.

old_man said:
How about the speed sensor from the tranny?
What do you mean?

Wipe the mud off and tell us the color of the wires.

;)

which wires do you want? all of them?

edit:

checked the wires.

Lost connector: purple/white stripe and white/ black stripe.
from engine/tranny: 1 red and 1 white
connector to firewall: red/green stripe and white/black stripe

that make sense?

Last edited:
Not the iac, thats two pronged, and the TPS has a box shape. Looks like the CPS. There was a bulletin about cutting out the connector and wiring in through one of the grommets and pulling out the original wires out of the ECM harness.

And the ECM must see a signal from that in order to run. Ignore that connector and its melted mate. Both auto and manuals have the CPS. You just the bulletin done at some point and the other connector was likely left unplugged dangling near the exhaust manifold.

ethernet said:
which wires do you want? all of them?

Lost connector: purple/white stripe and white/ black stripe.
from engine/tranny: 1 red and 1 white

that make sense?

Perfectly. These are the CPS wires. As 89CherokeePioneer says, these were probably bypassed by a previous owner. Feel down along the harness and see if there's a splice. The fact that it runs at all says the connection may be OK. Still worth checking it out.

Can you explain "runs bad" in more detail?

89CherokeePioneer[FONT=Verdana said:
There was a bulletin about cutting out the connector and wiring in through one of the grommets and pulling out the original wires out of the ECM harness[/FONT]

didn't I see that somewhere recently?? Oh yeah, that's what I said a couple hours ago..........:cheers:

Saudade said:
Perfectly. These are the CPS wires. As 89CherokeePioneer says, these were probably bypassed by a previous owner. Feel down along the harness and see if there's a splice. The fact that it runs at all says the connection may be OK. Still worth checking it out.

Can you explain "runs bad" in more detail?

All of those connectors are for the CPS or just the one that has nothing plugged into it? I am getting so very confused.... I am not the greatest mechanic obviously... What is it that I need to do?

My Jeep is running really rich. I believe it may be the TPS but I haven't had time to borrow someones digital voltmeter to check it. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow... Also I found out the other day that my o2 sensor had snapped off... It needs to be relocated. It's in a horrible spot. If I get any serious front drive shaft movement it will hit the o2 sensor and break it off. I am sure that has something to do with the horrible gas milage and running rich...

A bad pre-cat O2 sensor will drop you anywhere from 5-10 mpg's, and it will run noticably rich. I'd get that fixed first.

I do have a replacement. Only problem is that when I ride any trail it's gunna break off... I need to get it relocated before I have any more fun....

For the short time I had the new o2 sensor in and driving on the street it seemed to run a little better... however i took it out before I did a little trail riding today (couldn't resist it) and it was completly black... i don't think that is a good thing.

They both are. One comes from the CPS, the other into the main harness to the ECU. The wire going down the the CPS on the bell housing will have a splice in it. That is likely the wires going though the firewall connector. Looks like it was not secured properly and the connector brushed up against the exhaust manifold.

Are you running some kind of aftermarket header? Sounds hard to believe the DS would whack the O2?

I don't remember seeing any splice in the wires. But I will look in greater detail today.

Ya I have PaceSetter headers on my Jeep. The exhaust guy I took it to relocated the bung so it would get a better reading after all of the tubes joined together rather than just reading from on tube. However the place he relocated it so isn't the best spot. I will have to crawl under it and try to find a better spot for it to be put.

Have you cleaned your grounds? Looks dirty under there like all of our Jeeps but with our year specific it is very important to clean every single electrical component.

You jeep starts without that plugged? Mine wouldn't so it must be spliced going behind your firewall. It shouldn't be too hard to find. I'd suggest getting a bottle of CRC electronics cleaner and CRC electric grease and go to town on all the connections. Don't really smother everything in grease tho. Under your Windshield washer container there should be a main block of connections. You need to clean that and everything from grounds, fuses, relays and connectors. Go to HF if you have one close and buy a cheap voltmeter since everything under your hood can be checked with one. 13 bucks tops for one. Pin point everything and start getting to know your Jeep. :D You can make it run 10 times better. IDK if this helps just trying to mention stuff I had to do with my 89 runs great..except I need a new CPS.

ya that's where I run into a problem. I guess the previous owner had submerged the jeep in a mud hole and was stuck for quite sometime and it rusted and corroded alot of the elexctrical connections, especially the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side. How ever I will still try and see what I can do...

Ok. I bought the CRC electronics cleaner and started to go to town on all of the connections. I did find the two main connections underneath the windshield washer fluid container however I was unable to disconnect them. Are they suppose to disconnect and if so how hard should it be to pull them apart?

Back