• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Control Arms ?

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I started hearing some sounds under my Jeep while driving and to my surprise i noticed my LCA have pretty much worked themselves off my bushings. I am guessing this is causing my control arms to wonder around.

I have never seen this before, what should i do ? Given my small lift (2") is their a need to upgrade, or should i just get some stock replacements ?

Thanks,
Peter

If Stock is fine, where can i get them at a decent price ?

I am willing though to spend some dough for something thats better if necessary.

Pete

Last edited:
something like JKS is ALWAYS better than stock. Beefy. Adjustable. Not stamped steel like stock. And gives you room to upgrade :D

Stock - you can get them from Quadratec

JKS - I'd look at Jeepinoutfitters.com

I just got my Rusty's adjustables today. Beefy they are!

One of my bushings (or a few) are like yours. You can shake the arm side to side actually! My friend has the same issue. Until he can get enough cash to upgrade the arms he welded the bushing to the arm so they stay together as 1 piece.

try your chapter. in the for sale section. some people have them for cheap. just my opinion

jeepsrock said:
Ok, Let me put it this way... Who makes LCA, that are an upgrade from stock but not overkill for only 2" of lift ? Brands ? Links..
Thanks Pete

What size tires are you running w. the 2" lift? If you are running 31" or even 30", or have plans for such, I'd recommend swapping out your LCAs for the WJ LCAs; they are much beefier (solid tube), the rear bushings are oval rather than round and provide improved handling, and they are curved inward so there is no tire rubbing on full lock. Plus they are exactly the same length as your stock LCAs, so no alignment is necessary. You have to cut off the inner steel bushing sleeves to match the length of your old LCAs sleeves, but other than that, it's bolt-in. There's a good install writeup on it on Gojeeps site. Much cheaper than the aftermarket LCAs, and just as sturdy. Check Crown sites, they make a good WJ replacement unit.

I am running 30" Tires. I don't plan on lifting or changing the size anytime soon since this vehicle is my daily driver.
Thanks for the advice i will check the crown replacements as well as the WJ solution.

Pete

ctrlarms002.jpg

They will probably look like mine..... :eyes: except yours look like the sleeves are coming out with the rubber... you may want to use some loctite when installing the new ones. They are just Stock replacement. Might want to get someone to press them in with a hydraulic press. Makes life REAL easy.

Here are stock length replacement arms from Rusty's, made to keep larger tires on stock rims from rubbing at full lock. I've got a 2" lift as well, I'm putting these in today.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-CAC1&Category_Code=ARMS

If you want my old ones, they are about four months old, have about 6,000 miles on them, and are crown replacements. I'll give them to ya, just pick up the shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Mark

I was able to get a set of Rubicon Express LCA for a good price and they have taken care of the problem it seems. Handling and steering in general seem to be better.

Thanks,
Peter

This Thread can be closed.

bjoehandley said:
Looks interesting, did the handling change any after installing them?

No change in handling (better or worse), the tires don't rub the LCA's any more but now they are into plastic somewhere.

Nice to know I'm not hurting the tires.

Mark

Okay, so I have a 3" lift running 31's on AR wheels and have the LCA rubbing at full lock on both sides. If I were to go with the Rusty's bent LCAs, would that be all I'd need to do? Would I need the optional lower axle mounts?

I've got 31's on a 2" budget boost with new stock springs and the rusty's bent lower control arms and they do not rub at full lock anymore. Mine is a 1997 sport. I'd think you'd be OK with the 3" lift.

Mark

WJ lowers are similar. They have a curve in them as well and also have larger bushings to control NVH better. just grind the bushing down to the right width or follow Go-Jeeps exammple and spread the LCA mounts

Back