• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-fan not coming on

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
97 4.0 155k

E-fan has not come on at all to my knowledge. Ran it up and past 210 and it did not come one. Ran 12v to the fan directly and it turned, but slowly. Also, when the engine was at 210, the connnector to the fan read no voltage on the meter.

So, at what temp is the fan supposed to come on? Today in traffic my check gauges light came on due to temp while I had the A/C on. I think I need a new radiator, but it seems to me the E-fan should be kicking on.

Thanks in advance.

I found this another post and thought i would share it:

"... the normal operating temperature for the 4.0L engine is around 210 degrees on the highway. On a hot, dusty trail, or in stop-and-go city traffic, it's not unusual to see the temps climb up into the 225-degree range or higher, due to poor airflow through the radiator. This is normal, too, becuase per the factory service manual, the auxiliary fan kicks on when the coolant temperature rises to 223 degrees F regardless of whether or not you have the A/C on. The auxiliary fan will remain on until the temperature drops to 217 degrees F."

my 97 did that but when it did come on it didnt cut off. changed the relay and it worked fine.

xjh3 said:
Thanks jb.

What is the high pressure switch?

I would like to know this too. I just noticed today that my e-fan doesn't come on with the AC. I checked the fuse and it is good. I could just start replacing stuff but I would prefer to have a direction to go in.

And damn, I didn't realize that it was 'ok' for this engine to get that hot. Usually when the dash gauge gets to the next line past 210° I start freak'n! :eek:

210 degrees is normal temp for about any vechile these days.

Back