• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

100 octane??

nickPRO said:
hello everyone!! i use 95 oct in my xj. will anything happen if i use 100 oct? 1994 4.0 HO!

thanks

You will likely just pay more for the same or less performance.

Generally speaking, putting high octane fuel in a low compression engine is not all that productive.

Low Octane fuel, burns more rapidly, High Octane fuel burns more slowly. Counter intuitive, eh.

High performance, high compression engines require a slower burning fuel to prevent pre-ignition during the compression stroke and to burn more evenly in the quench and power parts of the stroke.

Adding a high Octane rated fuel to an engine that is not designed to take advantage of it's slower burning characteristics, is not that productive.

Zuki-Ron said:
You will likely just pay more for the same or less performance.

Generally speaking, putting high octane fuel in a low compression engine is not all that productive.

Low Octane fuel, burns more rapidly, High Octane fuel burns more slowly. Counter intuitive, eh.

High performance, high compression engines require a slower burning fuel to prevent pre-ignition during the compression stroke and to burn more evenly in the quench and power parts of the stroke.

Adding a high Octane rated fuel to an engine that is not designed to take advantage of it's slower burning characteristics, is not that productive.

ok thanks! that answered my question!

Back