• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap on older model 231

xjoffroad92

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to use the parts from the rear of a newer model np231 on an older model 231 to be able to do a hack and tap. My friend is doing a hd sye on his 97 wrangler so I will be able to get the mainshaft and rear of the tcase. I was wondering if I could use these parts to be able to do a hack and tap or if anyone had done this.

Unless yours is a 96+,No!

xjoffroad92 said:
Is it possible to use the parts from the rear of a newer model np231 on an older model 231 to be able to do a hack and tap. My friend is doing a hd sye on his 97 wrangler so I will be able to get the mainshaft and rear of the tcase. I was wondering if I could use these parts to be able to do a hack and tap or if anyone had done this.

I'm doing exactly this. I have a '92 231 and I'm using the tail housing from a TJ and doing a hack-n-tap. The tailhousing bolts right up, the snap ring that holds the tailshaft in place seems to be in the right place. I'm doing a lot of work including a transmission swap and a custom crossmember, and the transmission mount is not built yet. Until it's built I won't know exactly where I want my drive flange. So mine is not totally done yet, but it looks like it is going to work perfectly. :)

Now that I re-read your post(its possible),I do not re-call what year they changed the size of the mainshaft bearings.
hd%20sye.jpg

Back