• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the direction of the water pump the same between a 98 and an 89

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
did a motor swap from a 98 into my 89.

I have gotten it running with minimal problems but now I have a heat issue. I used all the accessories and mounting brackets from my 89. In looking at a diagram for the belt between the two motors it looks like I have my water pump running backwards, does anyone know for sure and is there a quick easy solution? will my 89 water pump bolt to the 98 block?

thanks

All of the 4.0 engines had the water pump turning the same direction (reverse, btw). You are talking about the 4.0 engine, right? Napa shows the same part numbers if you look both years up, although I believe there are two different part numbers depending on the nose stickout. I don't believe it's even possible to install the belt to run it the wrong way, unless you somehow have the ribs running against the smooth pully.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, finally got a real answer, you have to pay closes attention to where the accesories are mounted, I put a 90 into my 96 and used the 96 accesories and it runs around 240 the idler pulley is in a different position, turning the pump the wrong way, let me know what you find out since I still haven't fixed mine

:guitar:
doug

All of the 4.0 liter engines, with the belt installed per the FSM run the waterpump in the opposite direction as the crank. They will have an R stamped in the impeller to indicate that it is a reverse rotation. The only way you can get it running the wrong direction is to mis-route the belt and have the ribbed side of the serpentine belt against the water pump pulley.

This does not apply to the 4.2l engine as the belt routing on that resulted in a normal rotation of the water pump. It will bolt up to the 4.0l block, but will have the impeller vanes running the wrong direction. Occasionally you hear about the parts store goofing and giving the customer the wrong water pump and the poor guy can't figure out why he's overheating.

For the proper routing on a 95 (same as the 96), have a look at Go-Jeeps website. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoService.htm.

H8PVMT said:
I put a 90 into my 96 and used the 96 accesories and it runs around 240
What did you do for the temp gauge? The 90 and 96 temp sendors have different resistance values. Looking at the info below from a different post, I'm wondering if you're actually running 240°F or the gauge is just reading wrong.

Here's a chart in reference to a 1990 model.Temperature-to-Resistance Values (Approximate)

°F °C Ohms
212 100 185
160 70 450
100 38 1,600
70 20 3,400
40 4 7,500
20 -7 13,500
0 -18 25,000
-40 -40 100,700

Here are some of the numbers from the table in the 97 FSM.
68F => 11,370-13,610 ohms
77F => 9120-10880 ohms
86F => 7370-8750 ohms
194F => 830-970 ohms
248F => 370-410 ohms

i used an infared temp gun to check the accuracy, it's hot, Upon research my belt is routed like a 98 so I guess I'll get a 98 water pump so it spins the right way...right?

Thanks

doug

I think I lost you somewhere along the way. The 90 and 98 4.0l waterpumps are identical and spin the same direction. They have the same part number if you lookup both years up on Autozone.com.

hasta

i threw away the catalogue but in the quadratec spring one they had all the pumps listed and the direction they flowed and they listed both directions for most of the 88-91 wp, I have to take off the one I have and look for the R, I'll get to it someday....................:shhh: just like the rot and suspension

Back