• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinions, locker situation

dennisgrimm

NAXJA Forum User
To make a short story long....

5 months ago I ordered front and rear truetracs (30/8.25) from Rusty's for my '99 xj on 31's. After a bunch of border / shipping mishaps the likes of which I have never seen before, I finally received the front diff yesterday and should receive the rear today. The problem is that I received a detroit locker instead of a truetrac for the D30.

The reason I ordered 2 truetracs is because I live in the frozen north of Canada and drive on snow 6 months of the year. I figured 2 LSD's would be the way to go. Now I have a detroit for the front and have to decide to keep it or send it back for the truetrac.

On one hand a detroit will be better for offroading (I think), costs more than a truetrac, and I have it on hand. On the other hand I think the truetrac will be better in the snow.

If I send the detroit back I will have to pay the shipping, pay the brokerage fees again (~$50), and have to wait for who knows how long to get it. I am tempted to just install and live with it.

So here is the question... most people have the opposite, rear detroit and front truetrac. How terrible would it be to have it the other way around? What do you think I should do?

keep it. I'd prefer locked in the front and LS in the rear I think. the rear is what would come around on you, so it would be pretty easy to control with a ls in the rear compared to a locker.

Starboard M said:
Keep it, then sell it for a profit.
And then get a truetrac from someone other then Rustys.
What he said.

It's a daily driver on 31's. . .

In 4wd, an open Diff would be better than a Detroit locker up front on snowy / icy roads. For now, put the trutrac in back, leave the front open, and sell the Detroit. .

I forgot to mention that I want to regear to 4.56 at the same time. Why not, have the whole thing apart anyway.

If I leave the front open I think I need a new carrier. I would rather sell the detroit and order a truetrac than be forced to buy another open carrier.

Keep the detroit sell it and then buy an Auburn Gear ECTED locker. It's an electric locker that when not engaged is a limited slip. Best of both worlds. Either way your not going to like a fully locked axle in the snow.

I had thought about the ECTED locker but didn't read too many good things about it. Something about it only engaging half of the splines on the shafts being a weak point. I do like the idea of having a locker and LSD in one.

Calling around up here the best I can do for a D30 truetrac is $550cdn. I just want to cover my costs and would be willing to do an even trade for a new D30 truetrac or enough $$$ to buy one.

I was cotemplating putting a detroit in my D30. It would still be streetable but in the mud it would help out a lot. If I run it on the street in 2wd then the D30 wont be locked right?

If you are open to changing all the gear you have you might want to consider switching to a manual locker that is open when disengaged (ARB and OX - others?).

I find that even an LSD can be somewhat unpredictable when travelling at speed on hard packed, snow covered roads.Especially when there is a lot of acceleration and decelleration involved. I'm talking about "brain dead" commuter type driving, not through the trees rally driver impersonations. I'll take the LSD every time then. :D

Back