• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck is that screeching sound?

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
When I start her up (96 XJ, 4.0) I get this horrible screeching sound for about 4-5 seconds and then it goes away. It was so bad that my little boy wanted to get out of the truck. Anyways, transmission? Power steering? I'm baffled. It comes from right below the engine (or at least it sounds like it).

Yeah I would go with an Idler pulley somewheres I have one that is bad on my 88 and some times it can be horrible. Unfortunately mine is the one in the spot for AC and have been having issues getting the correct one in at the part's stores on island. The bearing seems to be too small and they are plastic pulleys now.

Flux capacitor low on fluid.

Is your a/c or defroster on when you start? If so, it's more than likely the belt. The added drag of having the a/c compressor engaged makes the belt squeal. You can either fix it (tighten or replace the belt) or make sure you don't start it with the a/c on. Beware of that second option though as you may find yourself stranded if it's a bad belt...

Jim www.yuccaman.com 96 XJ 4.0L

Yucca-Man said:
Is your a/c or defroster on when you start? If so, it's more than likely the belt. The added drag of having the a/c compressor engaged makes the belt squeal. You can either fix it (tighten or replace the belt) or make sure you don't start it with the a/c on. Beware of that second option though as you may find yourself stranded if it's a bad belt...
Thanks...I did notice that sound only comes on when I have the a/c on. I just replaced the belt. Is there a chance I torqued it down too tight?

Roughly how tight is the belt supposed to be? I get the same problem with the squealing only with the a/c or defroster on. I'm thinking about just changing the belt though because it could probably use a changing.

The screeching sound could also be the ac clutch slipping on start up, if the ac is engaged when you start.....

Back