• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My subwoofer idea...

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
I did a smiliar project in my TJ...now I want to try it in my XJ.

How about a subwoofer box built into the backrest of the rear seat that fires out toward the rear lift gate. Shallow mount subs would need to be used of course. But the problem is being able to build a box thin enough to work in the rear backrest.

Like I said, I've done it in the TJ for the rear seat firing down...but never in the XJ.

Any thoughts?

the padding of the seat takes up most of it...assuming you have some slight sympathy for those in the back...the only possible way i think would be to take a piece of mdf and mount it onto the seat frame, and build yourself a box thin tall box sticking out the back of it a bit. id probably all MDF is a safer bet...cuz when you fold your seat down and need to throw gear in there I wouldnt want to be tossing it onto fiberglass... might want to think of a cover to put over the sub as well.

if your considering another location...passenger side right where that little cubby hole is right infront of the taillight....great spot. some decent room behind the plastic trim, and is where ill most likely be putting mine as a little project in the summer... theres some threads on here of it being done..

i have an upholstered box that fits perfectly in that corner....when i had my alpine system..........it was nice

There is very little room at all in the back seat as is a single pressed sheet steel with only around 1 1/4" depth. Look at the photos I took to show how the rear head rests are factory fitted.

Headrests 001.jpg

More shots here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadRests.htm

Hammered said:
Huh? which years have factory rear head rests??

and were can we get them?

~Alex

Hammered said:
I'm looking at how that is set up, Heck you could almost do that mod yourself.

Yep, just use some ZJ front head rests. I had ZJ fronts seats stock from the factory as well and had the front head rests in the rear for a time.

Back