• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj electric fan on 2.5 or 4.0

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
Just wondering if anyone has taken a zj efan and put it in a mj or xj 4.0 or 2.5? Reason being I've got one lying around and wanted to try to used either on my 89 mj 2.5 or my 95 xj 4.0. From what I've read you can use two aux. fan from a 4.0 and obtain the necessary 3000 cfm required to cool the a 4.0. So I was wondering if the zj fan would be enough to cool the 2.5 considering it has only 1 fan to begin with and 2 less cylinders creating heat. The reason I'm putting any thought about this in the 2.5 is because I'm trying to get the most fuel mileage out of it as possible since it will be my dd soon.

So you honestly beleive that by removing the mechnical fan that you have currently and replacing it with an electric unit that you'll create less drag on your engine to the point where you'll save fuel?? I just want to make sure I'm getting this right so I can try and rationalize this to you...

So to put it bluntly your wasting your time and money.. Just like those people who truely beleive that they're gonna save so many mpg's when removing the a/c compressor and that when they use it there gas consumption goes through the roof.... Yes in fact it does vary when you use it, but not enough that it's worth the time and effort to remove the system and get a new belt.. So the same theory would apply to you wanting to do this fan swap...

But by all means, try and it and tell us how much you actually save over the course of even a 2 week peroid of driving how it is now and then with the swap and you can enlighten us all..

Good grief, way to flame the guy that's just wantin to save some money and has a legitimate question...

And to actually try to be helpful, yes, you will get better mileage w/out your mechanical fan. How much more who knows but it will be better, so don't listen to the ignoramous below you.

As far as whether or not it'll fit is a whole other question that I don't know the answer to... but based on what I've seen from WJ's, i'd say no lol, they're pretty huge fans :dunno:

Yes, the OP should have searched as there are plenty of threads on here about e-fans. To his credit, I don't remember anybody asking about a zj or wj fan, so it may be an original though.

Regardless, 10 posts and 2 months of activity doesn't really afford 91xjma the right to be such a douche

I don't think that kind of response is qualified from anyone in response to a fairly simple question, regardless of how long they've been registered.

Then again, I'm also one of these idiots who think that trying to make a vehicle more efficient is a good idea, especially with the cost of gas practically guaranteed to skyrocket.

First off I would like to thank you guys for backing me up! I would just like to say that I have been on this site for almost 4 years now and it has been nothing but good. Yeah I may not have alot of posts but I use this site as resourceful way to get a quick accurate answer for any questions I may have regarding my mj or xj. I always try to start off searching before I go and start a new thread, because I can't tell you how many times I've seen people ask a question that has been answered a million times. I don't know who this 91xjma thinks he is or where he gets this information about not reaping any benefits from eleminating a mechanical drag from the engine. Also I don't see how I could be wasting any money on this mod. I paid $0 for the fan and any wiring that would need to be done I already have the supplies and know how.

So anyway, Yes I did try to search and see if anyone had previously posted on the wj fan and any cfm rating it had and came up empty handed although I have read numerous posts on electric fan swaps which would be my resource for the 3000 cfm for 4.0.
I have not dug the fan out yet to comare size. It would be greatly appreciated if Marcus chimed in because his site and the information that he displays is very useful, not to mention he has some wj parts on his jeep. As I originally stated I am curious to know if anyone has doine t to date.

I'm very interested also, I've read of taurus fans being used on 2.5 YJ's/TJ's, but those share the same radiator as the 4.0, so it wouldn't apply to me (plus those are more square than either XJ Rad).

Is there a difference between the ZJ and WJ fans? and are all v8 fans the same among the models?

That guy is a big douchebag! On the 2.5 you can gain about three MPG (average from what I've read), and your torque curve will shift down (the whole overcoming the inertia of a reciprocating mass thing).

Basically your engine doesn't have to sling around a five or more pound fan in offset circles, freeing up a ponie or two, but significantly increasing the pant-o-mometer's ability to feel torque. It may not have MORE torque, but it will have that torque alot sooner in the RPM, you might even be able to squeal some treads! Haha...

good luck, and write it up or tell me how it goes, I'm interested!

Back