• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dremmel for trimming. How long will it take?

JEEP 4X4 DRIVER

NAXJA Forum User
Today is the day for the front fender trim and I have never used an angel grinder before. I do have a dremmel though with lot's of cut off wheels.

How long do you all think it would take to do the job using a dremmel? I'm going to take the cut to under the lip just above the holes.

At LEAST a week! Wow, I'm not that commited(by commited I mean CRAZY). Good luck. I'd buy an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.

Ignore those guys, it won't take a week. I'd say 10-12 days, tops.

I'd recommend a cheap 4-5" grinder. Bought a Ryobi for 40 bucks with grinding/mop/wire wheels, and cut off discs are like a 1.30 at Home Despot. Save yourself a lot of time.

get some leather chaps...

Jig saw works great. I used that on mine.
Angle grinder wont take to long just dont force the cut of disks. Make sure to use a cut off disk that is out of fiberglass not the cheap junk they normaly give you with the dremel. It can be done just takes some time.

Or just use a sawzaw cut under the holes, get some snips or cutters a hammer and cut notches and fold them over with a hammer, I just did mine last week it came out very good. Also folding over wont cut up your tires

Don't use a dremmel! It'll take forevvvvver. I used an air body saw (a small reciprocating pneumatic saw for sheet metal) that I got at Northern tool for less than $50. It worked great and is very easy to manuever and learn to use correctly.

i used a dremmel with the cut off wheel and each side only took me about 20-25 mins. i didn't feel like buyin an angle grinder so i stacked the cut off wheels to give me more mass lol

make sure you get the "reinforced" cut off discs (fairly cheap) and you should be ok...otherwise you will go through a dozen and a half of those cheap cut off disks.

Dremel worked great on mine :dunno: But I was only trimming to the lip in front, not cutting off larger amounts.

A Dremel can be used for that, but I'd not recommend it.

A Dremel is better for fine shaping and small projects - for something like fender trimming, I'd use an angle grinder, a Sawzall, or even a Jigsaw (if you use a saw, lay down a wide path of masking tape - makes your mark easier to see, and saves you scuffing up the paint with the saw "foot.")

You can use a jigsaw for the bulk of the trimming, and then use a Dremel to shape. I seriously doubt that it would take a week to ten days (then again, I do use a Dremel a lot...) but 2-3 hours per fender sounds about right, if you use a reinforced wheel (if you use the regular vitrified wheel, double that.)

If you use the grinder, bear a couple of things in mind:
1) Don't force the cut. A fairly light touch is still indicated (not as light as with a Dremel, but you still want to take it easy.)
2) Cutting sheet can be Hell on wheels - have some spares. Sheet presents a sharper edge to tear away vitrified abrasive than cutting something solid.
3) You may get tempted to use a "grinding" wheel to cut - don't. It won't work worth a damn.

You can get a 4.5" angle grinder from HF for $16 that works great. I've used mine 100 times and it hasn't quit. Sure, it's made in china/korea/wherever, but so are all the ones you're going to buy at sears or HD.

JEEP 4X4 DRIVER said:
Today is the day for the front fender trim and I have never used an angel grinder before. I do have a dremmel though with lot's of cut off wheels.

How long do you all think it would take to do the job using a dremmel? I'm going to take the cut to under the lip just above the holes.
allhail.gif

THANK-YOU for asking this question.
I almost asked one kinda like it, NOT gonna say what the question was...... sorry .... but it got my question answered.
, and more.

note:
i did not ask my question cause i did not think my flame suit was thick enough.
lmao.gif

maybe i should sign-up over on PBB and ask it, just to see what happens.
laugh.gif

Back