• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto XJ to 5speed MJ

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
What parts will I need extra for a swap? I've got a line on a 5speed MJ and want to swap all of my XJ's stuff onto it. I know about the rear axle needs new mounts and all. I mainly need to know about the transmission parts. I don't know the TC that is in the MJ but what will I need for my np231 and driveshaft to fit?

POSJ said:
What parts will I need extra for a swap? I've got a line on a 5speed MJ and want to swap all of my XJ's stuff onto it. I know about the rear axle needs new mounts and all. I mainly need to know about the transmission parts. I don't know the TC that is in the MJ but what will I need for my np231 and driveshaft to fit?

Changing manual to auto or reverse always requires a new computer and harness. Most people do not think of that one.

No the tranny in the MJ is going to stay original. I'm wanting to swap my np231 over since it has a SYE already and I was wondering if the rear driveshaft length is much different between a 4dr XJ and a SWB MJ.

POSJ said:
No the tranny in the MJ is going to stay original. I'm wanting to swap my np231 over since it has a SYE already and I was wondering if the rear driveshaft length is much different between a 4dr XJ and a SWB MJ.

Likely you will need a custom DS made.

Also, depending on your year you may have incorrect spline counts to use your tcase.

zluster said:
Likely you will need a custom DS made.

Also, depending on your year you may have incorrect spline counts to use your tcase.

Have the one you own adjusted... way cheaper.

REVROK said:
Changing manual to auto or reverse always requires a new computer and harness. Most people do not think of that one.

Not true for the Renix Jeeps, btw. Not even required for the OBD-I Jeeps either.

Back