• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else to check f/ front end cluncks/rattles?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... another thread about this as I had thought I solved the issues.

I've been getting some clunck/pop/rattles coming f/the front end, but only when I do a hard turn (left or right) or hit a large pot-hole or bump in the road. I have recently changed the front sway bar bushings and end link bushings and I thought that had fixed my issue... but the last couple days it's been back. It doesn't do it all the time, but only like mentioned above.

My track bar mounts are tight and solid, no loose bolts (that I can see), MORE motor mounts so those are good and solid (however didn't check the mounts that hold those to the engine so perhaps I've sheared a bolt and don't know it...). I've got Monroe Sensi-Trak shocks on the front that have about 100K miles on them so I'm not sure if they're bad. No signs such as leaking oil or busted seals. However, if I push down hard on the front end I hear them sort of 'swooshing' and the shock compresses... and I can only do that once as the next time I try and push down the shocks have little to no give. It's almost like I've bleed them... and after that they have no give.

My LCA and UCA bushings are older and worn, but don't appear to be worn out.

Steering stabilizer was replaced about the same time as the shocks so not sure if that's popping or not, but doubt it.

Anything else you can all think of to check would be appreciated. It almost makes a pop like my Motor Mounts or Tranny Mounts are bad... but I know they're not. It's also really hard, near impossible to replicate the sound when I have the XJ in the garage trying to locate it.

Thanks for the tips.

man, i chased a problem like this for months one time...hope you find it :)

anywho, you can try to isolate it by applying lite brake pressure at the times it would happen to see if it stops...that would help isolate the problem to the LCA/UCA/hub area. something tells me also that if it occurs when you hit large holes that it could be a ball joint? mayhaps try jacking up each front wheel and try wiggling it by hand to see if you get slop/movement. you may need to use a board or something to add leverage to the wheel when doing that...good luck on the hunt.

edit: btw if brake pressure stops it i would suggest re-torquring the UCA/LCA bolts first b4 assuming an arm is bad.

I had an issue of a pop when stoped and then took off on a corner. It ended up being my control arm bolts where not quite tight(I installed new lowers and forgot to retorque then). I tightened them up (checked uppers to just in case) and no more popping noise. Also check your ball joints as mentioned above and also check your u-joints(wheel u-joints)

Back