• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I remove the damn water pump

Depending on the year and engine size there is a jack screw on the bottom of the power steering pump. It is easily accessable from the bottom. You have to loosen several bolts on the front and back of the pump to allow it to rotate.

The 4 banger uses the alternator as the tensioner.

1 bolt on front of power steering pump, 2 bolts behind power steering pump, 1 bolt holding the jack screw. loosen all four bolts and then turn the jack screw so the power steering pump pivots.

Yep, what 89xj said. It's a bit easier to access everything if you pull your airbox out. If you do, be careful with the vacuum lines. The PS lines may be in the way of the adjuster bolt.

Okay so i did everything but im left with 2 bolts that i gotta mess with. one is long and thin the other is short and thicker. here are the 2 remaining holes that they dont rele fit in, maybe someone can direct me from here.

img0026yy0.jpg

img0027im7.jpg

img0028bn8.jpg

img0029qh6.jpg

there are the 2 bolts i found and the holes that i need to fill, the long one can be inserted and tightened to the water pump hole but neither fit in the power steering pump bracket

X2 on pulling the air box. You'll see this long(3-4") bolt that runs below the PS pump. That's the tensioner. Do a search in here, I know there are pics somewhere.

A friendly tip having just completed this very task last weekend. Put a piece of plywood, sheetmetal, or whatever against the radiator if you plan on keeping it in while you replace it. Space is tight, and a slip of a ratchet/wrench will booger up the radiator fins something fierce. Would also definitely recommend replacing the thermostat at the same time, and any hoses that look marginal. Draining and refilling coolant is a PITA if you've still got a closed system, and I only wanted to do it once if I could help it.

Also...I took the entire PS bracket off with the PS pump still inside it although loosened up freely. Had to loosen it up to get at the one hidden PS bracket bolt that lives directly behind the PS pump. I needed a universal joint to get at that one, and the only sockets I used I believe were the 13 and 14mm.

Good luck!

D'oh! Should have read the whole thread....

I had 3 shorts and 1 long that that bolted directly to the block, 14mm heads, and of course the smaller 4 13mm heads went to the pulley. The one "long" bolt for the WP, goes in the hole right above where the lower rad hose slips on b/c the casting is a bit thicker there. :) The remaining bolt(s) should be for the PS pump or bracket then. (I believe most of them also were 14mm as well.)

I need a pic of the ps pump and how to use it as a tensionsr my adjusting screw doesn't work it seems and I'm still kinda lost if I used the right bolts In each hole

Back