• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear ds u-joint straps loose.

biztyke

NAXJA Forum User
i bought my 90 a few months ago, one of the first things i did was replace the u-joints on the rear ds as they were badly worn out. now, i got new straps for the back one but they seem to be loose(not holding the joint very well). after a few weeks of driving, i get noise and some minor vibes back. so i check, and the tabs on the axle yoke that keeps the joint centered have flared out a bit, and the joint can slip back and forth in the straps(wich are bolted tight). ive been able to press the tabs back in place, but the problem just comes up again in a few weeks.

so what is my problem here? worn out axle yoke? out of balance ds? are those straps suppose to clamp the joint down or just hold it between the tabs?

yes they did when i replaced the u-joint, but over the course of driving around for a few weeks it developed side to side play as the two tabs on the axle yoke bent outwards slightly.

Whoops - posted before I finished my train of thought, but if there's side-to-side play the yoke is either worn out or you're using the wrong u-joints somehow. The retention tabs in the bottom of the yoke should be a close enough fit that the u-joint won't seat fully if the cup is dirty. If there's room for the u-joints to move, it's time to really examine the yoke.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back