• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix era iac on 2.5l

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
Alright lets get goin here, I recently purchased an 89 mj 2wd, 4 spd manual, with a 2.5. The guy I got it from was apparently a moron because everytime to start it he said he would pump the pedal three times and then hold the throttle partially open. When I asked him if it was carburated he said he didn't know. So I get it home and got to snoopin around under the hood and realized it was tbi, and thought why do you have to hold the throttle open to start it? Thats when I saw the iac that opens the throttle blade. So I had someone watch it when I turned the key on and when I tried to start it. It didn't move. Well then I thought maybe I should check for power. Well its got 5v at the connector. What I was wondering is if there was something that commonly goes wrong in these units? I searched every different terminology that I could think of and have come up empty handed!

They get carboned up. A good carb cleaner sprayed on when running might clean out the passage and get it moving. If you unbolt it and it won't come out easy, you have a good indication. I'd spray it down and see if you can't get it to move.

Probably start right up with no pedal after that.

but thats the thing there is no passage. It's just a little motor or sloenoid the moves the throttle blade and I can visibly see that its not moving. Its not even bolted to the throttle body itself, it just kinda hangin out there on a bracket.

Last edited:
Well I got to messin with it yesterday and was able to get it adjusted enough to get it to start with no throttle applied, but it still doesn't move and the idle rpm is low and barely idles. I guess I'll try taking it apart and adjusting a little more out of it to increase the rpm.

Is it just electric, or does it have a vacuum line or thermal pot on it too?

It appears to just be electric. I pulled it off and didn't see any other lines on it. I actually pulled it apart because I saw some parts stores sell repair kits for like $20 for some gears and whatnot. But non of the gears look stripped or damaged. So maybe the motor is bad on it but thats like $80 just for the motor!

I'll pull it off and take a pic and post a link. I figured somone on here would have some idea or had dealt with this style before.

There are several guys here with them. You just need to track them down.

So I took it apart and tried cleaning with some electrical cleaner, thinking maybe it was just really dirty and had a bad connection or the motor was gummed up. But I still have to give it some throttle to get it to start but it idles much better. But that maybe because I turned the external adjuster.

I had an 89 MJ 2.5 also with the same problem. You can buy a new IAC from any part store. Thats what I had to do to mine. Worked great after that.

Back