• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which leaf springs...Old Man Emu or other?

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
Running about 4.5" of lift on my xj right now w/ 33's. My current bastard pack (xj and s10 leafs) is starting to sag quite a bit and I haven't ever been real happy with their performance, they dont flex very well. I've considered bulding another pack or relocating my shackle mount in efforts to try to increase flex but dont know if I really want to deal with it right now so am looking into just buying a new pack.

Been looking quite a bit at the Old Man Emu leafs. Not really sure how much lift they generally give though. It appears they have different ratings (light, medium, and heavy) and provide 3" of lift? They also offer an AAL as well though. Those of you with OME leafs, how much lift did you get, how much weight do you have in the back, and how do they flex? Also considered RE leafs (3.5") but opinions on them seem to be pretty mixed.

I would like to do the relocated shackle mount but I would probably have to go with new leafs anyways since mine are sagging so bad. Would this be a better option or would a nice set of leafs like OME flex close to the same? Opinions? Thanks.

I would highly recommend the OME leaves. I have the 3" Med in the back and it gave me right at 3inches. It's been over a year now and no sag at all. If your wanting to stay around the 4.5 mark I would go with the 3" leaves, the AAL and a longer shackle. The only weight I carry around in the back is my 31" spare. They flex as much if not better than the 3.5 RE leaves I use to run and definitely ride better on the road.

OME rides great on the road, and IMO, they dont get enough credit for how well they flex offroad.

I started with a 3" pack and a 1" JKS boomerang, it gave me about 3.75" total. I've been told that each OME AAL that you add gives you about 3/4" more lift. I know of 2 people on here who are actually running 2 AALs in each leaf pack and have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Call Dirk @ DPGOffroad and talk to him about what you want, he'll give you some good suggestions!

Remember, the flatter your leaf spring, the better it will flex! Sure, a heavily arched spring will give you more lift off the bat, but it will be stiffer and not flex as well!!!

Im planning on getting the 3" OME's, shackle relocation and a longer shackle once I get to Oregon. Sounds like it will be much better at flex and ride quality then 4.5 springs right out.

Ive had my OME setup for nearly 8 years now(Shocks and springs), utilizing spacers, shackles, and one aal on each leaf, for a total of 4". Tows flippen awesome, flexes like mad, dances right across what others must crawl on, and just excellent road manners. I will not be trading this suspension off for any other, and when it finally DOES wear out, OME will be replacing it.

Back