• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Trepador tires

whatevah

It's Yellah!
I'm quickly running out of tread on my Maxxis Bighorn and I was going to get another set, but I've been looking at the radial Trepadors lately. Anybody run them long enough to have a guess at how long they'll last on the road? Hoping for at least 35K miles since they are a little sticky. :) Also, any thoughts on the tires would be helpful. For gas mileage purposes, I'll be going for the 31" tires.

edit: nevermind, i didnt know they made radial treps. they seem pretty worthless compared to a real comp trep; kinda like a siped baja claw.

Last edited:
well, 9 months ago... I decided to go with 32" Bighorns because I had them in stock at work. And that prompted a can of worms that helped me decide to lift the XJ more and go long arm after I bought and mounted the tires. :) Yeah, 6" long arm with 32s.

I still have the Treps on my list as a possible future tire, along with the Bighorns, Pro Comp XTerrains and BFG KM2s. Realistically, I'll probably go with a Maxxis tire (usually best tradeoff of price vs performance).

duplicate

didn't I say 32s? Yup... I did. My first post last year was when I had an RE 3.5. I bought 32s and realized with my wheel choice that I needed adjustable arms to adjust the wheelbase. So I went longarm. :)

Still a 6" lift is pretty big. I do like the look tho. I'm prolly gonna do 33s next time. 35s make most of the trails I run too easy.

no you said 31's(For gas mileage purposes, I'll be going for the 31" tires.)... so much for low center of gravity, huh. I hope you don't wheel that thing on anything off camber or you will be learning how to recover a rolled jeep. last I checked looks don't do anything for safety or performance.

no you said 31's(For gas mileage purposes, I'll be going for the 31" tires.)... so much for low center of gravity, huh. I hope you don't wheel that thing on anything off camber or you will be learning how to recover a rolled jeep. last I checked looks don't do anything for safety or performance.

If i run 31's the max lift I would do would be 3.5''. I have been looking for info on Maxxis Trepador Radial tires in the 31 inch size, As i think this is a good size for a DD/Mild trail/Camping Jeep. Got a buggy for the big stuff.
I have google/searched Here and pirate4x4 with little to no info on the tire in that size.
Has anyone dd a 31'' Trepador Radial?

Dude, pay attention... my original post was in August of last year! oakesters didn't pay attention when he chose my post to reply to. You didn't notice the original date either, nor my "well, 9 months ago..." comment when I replied and said I went with 32" Bighorns. Yeah it's a little top heavy, but the longarm and shocks give it a nice ride quality and plenty of control offroad. My only issues are on severe offcamber stuff where all lift rigs have problems. And really, my overall height isn't much different than 35s on a 4" lift. Much lower COG than with the spare on the roof like you apparently run. (I was bored and looked at pictures on your myspace link in your sig. 3 XJs with spares on the roof including one that looks identical to your avatar. That's just begging for trouble on offcamber stuff.)

That's just begging for trouble on offcamber stuff.)

Indeed it is! I am going to look at a Surco in a couple hours. I will never put a tire on it or have anything up there while i wheel! Just a personal preference though!

yeah it not up there anymore and for a good reason... it made me top heavy. 32's are still to small imo. just trying to help but you dont take criticism that great so I guess you will learn the hard way

If you run one Trep at a time, you may get 35k out of a set.

yeah it not up there anymore and for a good reason... it made me top heavy. 32's are still to small imo. just trying to help but you dont take criticism that great so I guess you will learn the hard way

Ok, so my 32s are too small and light. So what do you suggest? Add 100lbs of extra unsprung weight by switching to 35s. In turn lifting it another 1.5"? But won't that affect the COG worse? Or do you suggest that I replace my alloy wheels with steel beadlocks to add an extra 250lbs? You're anxious to give your advice, so lets hear it.

I meant that by moving from 32s to 35s, the overall height will be increased another 1.5" because of the extra space between the hubs and the ground.

Back