• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good buy or Pandora's box???

opie1

NAXJA Forum User
My boss is selling a 95 sport 4.0 AW4 for $500. It has minor front end damage and a blown head gasket. No milky oil but it runs like crap and it shoots anti-freeze and white smoke out the exhaust pipe. I've never seen a 4.0 blow a head gasket so is there anything I should look out for? Or is this one more way for him to screw me?

for the money it cost to buy a scrap yard 4.0 i wouldn't even mess with replacing the head gasket. you might end up with a warped head if he overheated it enough. then your talking machining or replacement. as far as the front end damage hard to say without seeing pics or a very detailed description.

If the coolant got into the oil and since it has been run already the bearings, pistons, cylinders etc, could be damaged engough from poor/lack of lubrication to require an entire rebuild of the engine.

Figure on a local JY engine cost to get it in usable shape. In other words price it as if the engine was toast. Buy it, pull the head, oil pan, check the bearings, cylinders, etc, then decide whether to keep that engine or scrap it.

Well I bought it. I figure even if I have to JY a motor or a head I'm still under $1000. Besides I paid $1300 for my 89 and the 95 is in 10 times better shape. I'm gonna try a head gasket and see how it works out. If not I found a motor with a 60 day guarantee for $560. Its going to be nice not having to help the window roll its self up. Oh! the a/c is cold as you know what too.

Back