• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5sp vs auto

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Im gonna check on a 98 5 speed sport 2 door 4x4. For any of you with manuals hows the 1st in low in 4wd? Im thinking the auto is better probably but?? 5 sp 2 door 98 sounded kinda unusual from what Ive seen.

All 3 of our jeeps, 1 98XJ and two wranglers are 5 speeds. I've never owned an automatic myself and probably never will...

I have a 95 and a 99. Ii would say low is low enough in low range. It's a little tall in high range off road, geared pretty tall all around owing to the final drive ratios. But I like them. Couldn't find specs for the automatic in a hurry, but the ratios for the AX15 are 3.53, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, and .79 (to one of course in each case).

Matthew Currie said:
I have a 95 and a 99. Ii would say low is low enough in low range. It's a little tall in high range off road, geared pretty tall all around owing to the final drive ratios. But I like them. Couldn't find specs for the automatic in a hurry, but the ratios for the AX15 are 3.53, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, and .79 (to one of course in each case).
AW4: 2.80, 1.54, 1.00, .75 (for that year, the 87-90 are .705 4th)

The auto XJs also come with lower diff gears and the torque convertor essentially adds more reduction.

If you're asking because you want to know which will crawl better, the answer is definitely the auto.

"If you're asking because you want to know which will crawl better, the answer is definitely the auto."
Thats what I was getting at pretty much,although this will be my DD and not a beater. I`ll save the 95 for that.

I would agree that for crawling the AW4 is likely better, but it depends on how you plan to crawl. As a runner of box-stock XJ's, I would say that the manual will crawl adequately in any situation where you would not be a total fool to take an unmodified XJ in the first place, but you will be using low range more.

I would go with an auto having wheeled with a 5 speed. The five spped was fine when I was just doing light wheeling but as I get farther and farther into harder obstacles I wish I would have bought an auto.

Although I'm getting good at the heel-toe action... lol

Matthew Currie said:
correction, first gear is 3.83
it's plenty low if you regear, stock and 31's sucked.
31's and 3.73's is nice.
4.10s would be awesome.
with 3.73's in 1st and 4lo I can run at 2K RPM's doing walking speeds.

here's a side question, the owner's manual states that the 5 speed can tow something like 2500 pounds, but the automatic with a trailer towing package can handle 5000 pounds.
TT package AND auto required, why?

philip_g said:

A transmission cooler is included in that package, which is not an issue with the manual.
Manual equipped rigs have 3.07 differential gearing, which would be a poor choice for towing. With the proper ratio, I don't see the manual being a handicap if you know how to operate a clutch.

Ronbo said:
A transmission cooler is included in that package, which is not an issue with the manual.
Manual equipped rigs have 3.07 differential gearing, which would be a poor choice for towing. With the proper ratio, I don't see the manual being a handicap if you know how to operate a clutch.
x2, I think it's done like that because they didn't like replacing burnt clutchs.

philip_g said:
here's a side question, the owner's manual states that the 5 speed can tow something like 2500 pounds, but the automatic with a trailer towing package can handle 5000 pounds.

Its so that Chrysler wouldn't have to replace clutches under warranty. I towed more than that with my AX15 equipped '97 without trouble. Trailer brakes highly recommended!

Lawn Cher' said:
Its so that Chrysler wouldn't have to replace clutches under warranty. I towed more than that with my AX15 equipped '97 without trouble. Trailer brakes highly recommended!

at this altitude my 89 barely has enough power to get out of it's own way let alone tow 5k pounds :hang:

87manche said:
correction, first gear is 3.83
it's plenty low if you regear, stock and 31's sucked.
31's and 3.73's is nice.
4.10s would be awesome.
with 3.73's in 1st and 4lo I can run at 2K RPM's doing walking speeds.
With 3.55s and 31s, the five-speed is much more streetable than with the stock 3.07s, but still not deep enough for me.

I dream of 4.88s.

I have the AW4 with 4.56s, 33s, and a tired 4.0. That setup has treated me good. The next thing I plan to do is stroke it, then move to 35s. I miss having a 5 speed trail rig at times, but after I stroke the ol' 4.0 I think I'll be plenty happy with what I have.

The simplicity of being able to "bump start" my rig with a manual tranny, such as when my starter has failed (twice), has always appealed to me. You can't do that with an auto.... :roll:

Ivan said:
The simplicity of being able to "bump start" my rig with a manual tranny, such as when my starter has failed (twice), has always appealed to me. You can't do that with an auto.... :roll:

What gear do you usually use when doing it? Mine usually makes some weird noises when i try it and it starts kinda weird.

Back