• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My (in progress) whack at half doors

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
My crack at half doors! Never really worked with sheet metal before, but I can weld a bit. Picked up a set of doors cheap,and waited a bit. Its really hard to decide where to cut them!
brainstorming
door4.jpg

no turnin back!
door2.jpg

door3.jpg

dooor1.jpg

can hardly wait to finish them!

(dont mind the drunk guys in the background)

looks good. I like the pun on the title too

I remember seeing some snap in windows someone came up with can anyone point me to them?? Thanks

I did search :)

mcraindog said:
here you are sir...

door1.jpg

Hot dam those things look sick!!! are they yours?, just trying to find out if they flap at highway speed before I commit!

nope not mine...i sure as hell wish they were though! found them on here and saved the picture. don't remember where the thread was.

wonder how he put the buttons on the sheetmetal?

those things look sick!!

Chris @ GATR said:
So you lost your window, window controls, lock, armrest and 12" of door to accomplish what? Should have bought a Wrangler IMO. :puke:

Sorry.

Its easier to look out the window and watch your tire placement.

Chris @ GATR said:
So you lost your window, window controls, lock, armrest and 12" of door to accomplish what? Should have bought a Wrangler IMO. :puke:

Sorry.

to each their own, These doors will take less than 15 min to swap on and off, so back to stock in no time!! I have a good feel for tire placement with my normal doors on. Its kind of neat doing something away from the path of normal. I have just about $50 into this project, so even if they fell of in a windstorm I'm not out much.

Not really hating here, but I just sense Wrangler envy. I just sold a built TJ with full doors and I bet I had the doors off about 3 times. it had nothing to do with tire placement, but it did feel kinda gay in a way. Again , not hating here, just my opinion.

Chris @ GATR said:
Not really hating here, but I just sense Wrangler envy. I just sold a built TJ with full doors and I bet I had the doors off about 3 times. it had nothing to do with tire placement, but it did feel kinda gay in a way. Again , not hating here, just my opinion.

gotcha, I actually dislike the look of "barbie jeeps", no envy here! Hey on the plus side I can barf out the door without having to wait for the window to go down!!

Chris @ GATR said:
:spin3: Around here, we use spotters and full doors.

Spotters are for pu$%ies that can't drive their own rig! (JK)

I don't know how many times I've tried to lean out my window to see my tire placement. This is definitely on my (long) to-do list...

It's looking good so far!

Chris @ GATR said:
You shouldnt be driving drunk. You might kill a kid. :eek:wl:

I was thinkin squirrels,anyway to get back on track I'll post up more progress pics tonight.

Progress tonight after work, taking a lot longer than I thought!
dor1.jpg

dor2.jpg

dor3.jpg

dor4.jpg

will post up when they are painted!

Hey, before you weld that up, I'd incorporate a cup holder! :)

The canvas windows are done by boat kitting folks. (The guys that make the canvases for boats.) The buttons are screwed through the sheet metal with self-tappers.

Don't mind that Chris clown, he don't know what the hell he's talking about.

Lookin good.

Looking good bcmax. What gauge of metal did you use??

Chris @ GATR said:

Chris - stick around a little while and you'll notice that XJ half doors are becoming a common mod. There are also more guys who are taking off their doors completely.

Full doors, half doors, full soft doors, half soft doors - I had them all.
It's not gay at all - IT"S A JEEP THING....

E

Back