• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 XJ Front end noise and alignment issue

BisonTechie

NAXJA Forum User
I have looked in the forums and have not found the same issue.

I just got the Cherokee, replaced the tires and got the front end aligned. The shop said the alignment was within spec but that they could not make any further adjustments as they could not install any more shims. It drifts slowly to the right. They suggested I have a body shop 'tweak' the frame then re-align it. Doesn't sound right for unibody construction to me.

Also, when driving down the road the front end makes a constant noise that seems to come from the right front. I noticed that the noise will halt when turning left and returns when turning further left. Especially noticable in curves.

Any help is appreciated.

1) Has the jeep ever been hit? If it's not bent, why bend it?

2) Did the alignment shop do a 4-wheel alignment before recommending the frame shop? Or was that just a guess on their part.

3) Did you check your brakes and front unit bearings? A dragging brake or a dying wheel bearing can cause the car to drift toward that side. this might explain the noise.

I had a very similar problem. It turned out to be the bearing assembly unit. When you turn the wheel you are putting a different part of the bearing surfaces under load, thus the different noise when you turn. As to the pulling well, unless there really bad that sounds rather unlikely. But it could be the cause. Good luck.

I have found no evidence of an accident or the vehicle being hit.

I'm planning on checking the wheel bearings and rotors this weekend. Don't know much about checking the rest of the front 4WD axle.

The shop only did a 2 wheel alignment. I'll enter the info I got when I'm back from my trip.

Back