• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L 4-cyl 4x4 AW4?

RD93Chry8.25

NAXJA Forum User
Does such a transmission exist? Is it the same as a 4.0L AW4 (except the bell housing). I searched here and there, but I am not sure if this transmission/engine combo exists. thanks for any insight.

Yes, the BH is different. That and the factory 4.56 gearing.

Its pretty neat, I drove one before it was junked due to rust issues, the owner kept the BH, TB and all assoc. cables. Not much getup'n'boogie but great DD material.

yes, they do exist, but rare

BH is different, and also the torque converter (snout, where it fits into the crank) as well as the TCU

I'm running the 4.56 stock D30 from a 2.5/AW4 XJ in the front of my MJ, and another MJ friend of mine has a 2WD 2.5/AW4 MJ that I borrowed the rear D35 (4.56) out of until I regeared my D44 to match

edit: we converted my friend's MJ to 4WD, and he used a 4.0/XJ tranny, but had to swap the 2.5 BH and get a new torque converter (his old 2.5 one was leaking at the pump)....also had to fab up a trans mount

Jeff in VA, so the 4.0L/XJ aw4 worked with the 2.5L but you were running the original 2.5 TCU?

Also if any one knows about one of these BH I may be interested. I have a very low geared (axles are at 5.89:1 with 35s) 2.5 4-cyl powered jeep and I would love the AW4s .75 OD on the highway, but I guess I would need a 2.5 TCU, torque converter, and the cables? maybe its more trouble than its worth?

yes, 4.0-AW4 trans body mated to the 2WD 2.5 AW4 bellhousing and torque converter. His original TC was leaking, and he was able to order a new one from someplace up in PA (I can find out the specifics if you want). Also reused the TCU.

Like I said, they do exist but are very rare...that drivetrain combo was only offered in 87-89 XJ/MJ's. Outside of his '88 MJ and the '87 XJ I found that I pulled the D30 out of (that's now living under my MJ), I've only ever seen one other one....an 89 XJ that was sitting in Harry's U-pull last summer. I didn't have the tools nor the provisions to get parts back to VA that weekend, otherwise I'd have stripped it clean......

Jeff

The bellhousing from a Dodge Dakota with the AW4 will supposedly will mate the 60* pattern of the 2.5l to the AW4. I saw a writeup recently about it.

i dont want to highjack this thread but could i use a 87 AW4 that was mated to a 2.5 and mate it to a 97 4.0 if i swap the BH?

rowley65flip said:
i dont want to highjack this thread but could i use a 87 AW4 that was mated to a 2.5 and mate it to a 97 4.0 if i swap the BH?

yes, along with the torque converter.....then share the love with your fellow jeepers here and sell/give the 2.5 BH and TC to RD93Chry8.25 :)

Jeff

Back