• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another way to mount your alternator up high

Reaper

NAXJA Forum User
After reading the threads outlining a clever way to mount your alternator in place of the AC compressor (here), I was a little sad because it meant retiring the original alternator bracket. So, I decided to try something different and hack up the AC compressor bracket and alternator bracket so they work together. My mechanical fan bearing was shot so I removed that as well, but you should be able to run this setup both ways. Anyway, on to the pics. BTW, this is all for a RENIX 4.0.

First I hacked up the AC compressor mount.
alt%20mount%20clearance%202.jpg

Then I cut off the extra mounting point on the original alternator bracket, it's the long bolt tube opposite the flat part. I don't have any pictures of this but it will make sense in a second.

The way this fits together is to set the "foot" of the original alternator bracket onto the flat part that you just created in the AC bracket. The bottom tab on the alternator gets bolted into the long bolt hole on the original AC bracket, like this.
assembly%20test%20fit.jpg

That spacer is there to line the pulleys up. I drilled a couple holes in the AC bracket to bolt the "foot" down.

foot%20location.jpg

fount%20mount%20final.jpg

And I had to clearance the bracket for nuts on the bottom of the bracket.
hole%20clearance%201.jpg

I realize writing this now that my pictures are less than adequate to explain how things fit, so let me know if this doesn't make any sense and I'll try to explain.

Anyway, here is the front shot.
belt%20routing.jpg

Here is a closeup of all the bolt holes from the original brackets on the right side. I thought about using a little strip to tie all these together, but the way it is seems pretty solid, so I haven't bothered yet.

lots%20of%20holes.jpg

I have tightened everything up and installed a 76.5" belt, but I haven't run it yet, since my Jeep is just a garage ornament and not a real vehicle. Let me know what you think.

The spacer I used was about 1/2" thick, but there is some wiggle room since you drill the holes in the bottom (AC) bracket wherever you want to locate the upper (alternator) bracket.

Hello, I have a 96 Cherokee. I took out the AC Compressor today and am going to be doing the same mod. Besides getting the renix a/c bracket from the junkyard to make this work, what else do I need to get? Can the newer style alternator still be used? Are any other brackets necessary? Thank you in advance!!

bigthorp420 said:
Hello, I have a 96 Cherokee. I took out the AC Compressor today and am going to be doing the same mod. Besides getting the renix a/c bracket from the junkyard to make this work, what else do I need to get? Can the newer style alternator still be used? Are any other brackets necessary? Thank you in advance!!

Your 1996 is OBD-II, and the alternator has the regulator circuit built into the PCM (instead of the Delco CS-130 used on RENIX, which has an internal regulator.)

If you use the Delco, use a "one-wire" version (self-exciting, does not need input into the regulator,) and be prepared for a persistent CEL/MIL (the PCM will think something is wrong.)

You can probably use an ND - which means using later bracketry, not early - and extend/reroute the alternator subharness to preserve function tho - I haven't looked into that.

Will the alternator from the 96 (obd2) work with the reni bracket? We tried mocking it up with the 1996 brackets and it wouldn't fit right, until I found this thread talking about using the renic A/C bracket. What I was really wondering is if I can use the 1996 alternator with the renix a/c bracket. I'd assume so but I want to be for sure.

bigthorp420 said:
Will the alternator from the 96 (obd2) work with the reni bracket? We tried mocking it up with the 1996 brackets and it wouldn't fit right, until I found this thread talking about using the renic A/C bracket. What I was really wondering is if I can use the 1996 alternator with the renix a/c bracket. I'd assume so but I want to be for sure.

I'm not sure that the mounting will be the same between the ND case and the Delco CS-130. You may end up having to just fab something up, and putting it right with trial & error.

or while you are at the JY pulling all these parts, couldnt you just snatch a GC bracket and use it instead of all the make do. I was pretty sure my 1994 4.0 GC had an alt mounted where the ac was.

I haven't spent much time looking at 91-01 AC and alternator brackets, but it seems like you should be able to make a composite/hacked bracket that would mount the alternator in place of the AC in just about any version of the 4.0.

Plus cutting aluminum is really fun, and you don't have to buy/pull anything from the junkyard.

Just was at the junkyard today, we pulled the a/c bracket out of an older XJ Wagoneer. The OBD2 style alternator mounts up pretty similar to the older style alternator as well. Just have to get the correct length belt and it will be all ready to go!

Only other problem is the radiator hose hitting the hood. Could purchase a renix era hose which is longer and goes behind the alternator, or perhaps "clearance" the hood support above the hose. Will get pics when finished.

The AC bracket cost $12.00 on half price Wednesday at pick and pull, not bad at all.

Also, looked at a 1993 ZJ at the junkyard with a 4.0. The AC bracket was the same as the newer style AC bracket that the 4.0 HO uses, and the alternator was not at the top either.

Last edited:
Back