• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommend a short lift for a civilized rig

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a nice 98 and to keep me out of the big rock I'm looking for a short lift. I'm going to just keep the 235's but the stock springs are tired and I get some light rubbing even on the street. I want to do it right the first time as they say so I'm willing to spend whats necessary but I work hard for my green.
I'm interested in a nice ride but I will be loading it fairly heavy for trips with a big safari rack and plenty of skid plates.
What do you guy recommend for a civilized rig?

Best bang for the buck i have found was the Rough country 4.5" lift.
but that includes getting 32"s.. you can do all that for a grand..

or a budget boost would run you 100-200 thats 2"..

OME will probably be suggested. No matter what is suggested I would say make sure you get new leaf packs in the back, or make your own bastard pack.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
OME will probably be suggested. No matter what is suggested I would say make sure you get new leaf packs in the back, or make your own bastard pack.

-Alex

New leaf pack are a must. The ones in it now are about shot. They may go on a new trail trailer.

BB it is

nw-xj-scott said:
I've been hearin some negative things about ome lately...
As have I.. I would give them a call and see what the hell is up with them. Get some boomerang shackles, some good shocks, and some v8 grand cherokee springs.

Bronco said:
I just picked up a nice 98 and to keep me out of the big rock I'm looking for a short lift. I'm going to just keep the 235's but the stock springs are tired and I get some light rubbing even on the street. I want to do it right the first time as they say so I'm willing to spend whats necessary but I work hard for my green.
I'm interested in a nice ride but I will be loading it fairly heavy for trips with a big safari rack and plenty of skid plates.
What do you guy recommend for a civilized rig?

Where's it rubbing?Stock rims? I have pretty new 235 BFGATs on stock rims and tires springs and I only get a little rubbing in the front while turning during full stuff, and never in the back. Oh, and this is only with the swaybar disconnected.

Front rubbing:
DSC01424.jpg

Clear in the back:

DSC01414.jpg

My wifes rig is on 235's with a 3in lift this is what it looks like

RC is the way we went

Hers is the black on

DSC03255.jpg

Before
DSC03091.jpg

After
DSC03251.jpg

DSC03252.jpg

DSC03253.jpg

I feel it still looks good on the 235's but that is up to you. If you talk to Jason grimus99xj he will give you a pretty good deal on it. I would stay away from the AAL's though.

srimes said:
Where's it rubbing?Stock rims? I have pretty new 235 BFGATs on stock rims and tires springs and I only get a little rubbing in the front while turning during full stuff, and never in the back. Oh, and this is only with the swaybar disconnected.
They are not stock rims. They are some kind of Black Steelies. They don’t look too funky offset wise. I'm not sure where the rubbing is happening but it was as I was turning into a driveway and it was very light. I think the stock springs are just sagged out to much.
I was looking last night and 4wd.com sells "stock" leaf springs in 3 different sizes with 5 1/2" to 7" of "arc". The 7" ones are listed as Heavy Duty. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=6944 Anyone run these? Also with OME they have 3 different weights or duty ratings. How do you pick the right one?

Last edited:
Bronco said:
I'm not sure where the rubbing is happening but it was as I was turning into a driveway and it was very light. I think the stock springs are just sagged out to much.

I'd find something to flex on to see where it's rubbing, should be easy to do. Also, I've read on here, and agree the philosophy that you shouldn't lift to stop rubbing: trimming and adjusting bumpstops is what prevents rubbing. A lift keeps you from riding on the bumpstops too much.

Also, you might be rubbing on the lower control arm, and a lift won't change that.

srimes said:
trimming and adjusting bumpstops is what prevents rubbing. A lift keeps you from riding on the bumpstops too much.
Wise saying...
I should take the opportunity for having it on saggy springs to get the bump stops right, but if you saw it sitting low I think you would agree that new springs of one kind or another are in order.

OME is a lot of money for something that isnt getting great reviews. for 2" get a BB, otherwise get a nice 3" lift. Id say 2" and some 30s and your good.

emr1101 said:
OME is a lot of money for something that isnt getting great reviews. for 2" get a BB, otherwise get a nice 3" lift. Id say 2" and some 30s and your good.
Anybody know what is going on with OME? They have always been the cat’s meow. Is there a problem with the product or is it a service issue?
Also I have not been able to do a search for OME. I guessing it's because it wants more than 3 letters? Anyone know?

Awesome, this is great to hear after I ordered a set of OME shocks that will be here tomorrow. Hopefully the issues are just with their springs lol.

To the OP, find a decent BB from RE or RC with shocks and spacers in the front, then get HD leafs from quadratec or something with shackles. That should give you 2" or so and room for 30's.

Back