• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Swap or Rebuild

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 4.0 XJ automatic and would like to have a stouter transmission. What are my options without having to go into a ton of fabrication. Is there any upgrades to these trannys? Like having it professionaly rebuilt and the valve body worked to increase line pressure? Any input?

The main thing I read about the AW-4 is it generates more heat then most automatics, and most of the "modifications" to them seem to center around improved cooling.
There's also the FUBAR 1-2 shift pattern, which seems to drive a market for aftermarket manual controllers.

Are you having a problem with yours, or is it more of a "preventative" upgrade?

I'm just looking at options. I'm not having any trouble right now and I will run it till it dies, but I want to know what to do when it takes a dirt nap.

The AW-4 is the only trans ever offered behind the 4.0 in a Cherokee. The early Wrangler had a Chrysler A-999 three-speed that would be a mechanical bolt in, and I think there were a couple different Autos offered in the Grand Cheerokee with a six. These would all "bolt in" without a ton of adapters, etc.
Problem is:
A-999: No overdrive, purely hydraulic, Engine computer would probably have a fit.
Anything out of a Grand: Transmission probably wouldn't like the control signals from the engine computer, and the engine computer would, again probably have a fit. Any swap would probably require a new engine computer, and a separate controller for the trans.
Any thing else is fab, Fab, FAB!
I'd say get a spare AW-4 if your worried about it breaking.

Back