• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating cps to the crank shaft pulley.

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
We all know how much of a PITA it is to change a faulty cps on these jeeps.I have seen a few makes that have the cps on the crankshaft pulley on the front of the motor(can't remember if it's ford or chevy)but it would be so nice to figure out a way to do this to the 4.0 seeing as how they are a common gremlin on these rigs.

One thing would be finding a way to machine the trigger notches onto the crank pulley(or find a suitable replacement)....another thing would be the rpm that the smaller(compared to the flywheel)crank pulley would be turning,and also the spacing of the cps trigger windows.

Mounting the cps to the front of the motor and finding the right air gap would be the easy part.

I can imagine the logistics of it but don't know enough about engine computers to draw any concrete conlusions.Most likely the computer would have to be re-programed to accept the faster rpm of the crank pulley?Is that even possible?

Holy shit batman...there goes my multi-million dollar idea!!!
Damn why is it that everytime I think I had come up with something really good it has already been invented???

Does that kit have a special cps sensor?It doesn't look stock.The down side would be when its time to replace the harmonic balancer you would have to drop another $289....

Thanks for the link.....

Last edited:
It's really not that hard to replace a CPS on an XJ. It takes about 15 minutes if you have some extensions and a wobble socket.

Be sure too look over the selection carefully and make sure your year is listed before purchase (save you hastle of returning it). The guys over there are awesome, lots of good parts, and great customer service.

Anyone here running this???If only those crack head jeep engineers would have put it there in the first place.....bastids!

I know it doesn't take that long if you know what you're doing but who likes having to crawl under there in the mud and be a contortionist?Or worse Have to replace one on the side of a busy highway in a bad spot.
I've had a wild hair up my ass lately,probably because I'm lazy,but I've been making my rig as easy to work on as possible lately.

Last edited:
yea I see that...but what I'm saying is the flywheel is much bigger than the crank pulley.:dunno: seems like the window triggers would be out of wack.
I wonder if those pullies are off of another make or are custom machined for Hesco?When I was replacing the crank pulley on my 89 a few months back the instructions had directions to instal the same exact balancer on a ford vehicle.Not surprising.....the renix models had a ford dist. and GM style steering column......anyway what I'm trying to say is maybe that is a pulley from a ford?

To all those who own a ford or any other vehicle with front mounted cps: Does this flywheel look familiar???

Last edited:
Your CPS almost never fails, your CPS plug does.

Solder the wires instead of plugging it in and see how long you get by. If you're super worried about it, solder them in 'above' the current plug leaving it in place, so you can plug a replacement CPS in if you get in a pinch.

99.95% of your CPS problems will go away.

Back